Seasonic.....RMA......What??

magoo

[H]F Junkie
So my Seasonic X-1050 (less than a year old) couldn't handle loads under gaming.
The second I went into a game, the computer just shut down.
I did a bunch of trouble-shooting and identified the PSU as the culprit.
Amongst the testing was a Kill-a-watt measurement of wattage during full load, using a good working PSU and it was way under 1050 watts, in fact it was about 70% of full load.

I asked for an RMA.
Did the online request and got an immediate ok to send back.

The unit arrived in California on a Thursday and a replacement was sent out to me the very next day.

Transit was 11 days due to the holidays.

Received a plain brown box, inside were packing peanuts; the PSU was wrapped in a bubble wrap envelope supplied by UPS.
No paperwork, nothing, just the PSU.

When I look at the unit from the top, it looks like someone used it for a year and never cleaned it. The inner housing is dusty, the fan guard likewise, the fan blades are covered with fine dust.

I mean, OK, I didn't expect a NIB PSU.
I'd just like one back that was cared for like the one I sent in.
Mine was pristine, well cared for, and cleaned about 4 or 5 times a year from dust....if there was any.
Sure, the warranty says they'll replace the broken one with one that works....and that's it.

But this is disappointing. The thing is dirty....I mean......jesus.....really.:eek::mad:

Cliffs:
rant.....
Seasonic, I am disappoint.:(

Photos to follow soon......

If it works dust it out and call it a day. RMAs have no guarantees on cleanliness of unit.

Sad that Seasonic would not clean out units when they fix them, why would they work with all that dust?
Safe to say where they are repaired is not ISO.

Does the unit have a refurbished sticker on it? If not I would email them with the pictures you took and let them choose what to do with it.

I've been having this exact same issue with my ~2 year old X650 for the past couple of days, I'm sure of it. Not really looking forward to it tbh.

On a related note, would it be a good idea to use my 7 year old, hasn't been used in 2-3 years out of warranty Corsair 550VX to power this 2500k/R9 290 rig for a few weeks, or should I spring for a new CS450m as a replacement backup for about 27 bucks AR?

Last edited:
Maybe a lazy tech just grabbed the nearest working unit available. My RMA'd x1250xm arrived in pretty nice condition, looked nearly new, not dusty, etc. Sucks that you got the short end of the stick because of someone's carelessness.

Corsair cross shipped me a replacement that was brand new in box when my AX1200i had coil whine (had to put down a credit card deposit, but that's normal). I favor Corsair and EVGA just because my desktop being down for 11+ days isn't acceptable. With ASRock my mobo was missing for 30 days factoring in transit time.

That doesn't sound right op. Can we see pics?

Sorry. Ill have pictures up tonight.
The only other PSU I had to RMA was a Corsair.
Not only did I get a NIB unit, but the newest version.
Received an 860i in place of an AX850.
Im sure this unit is fine.
Its just shoddy lack of attention to detail.
Ill not buy from Seasonic again.

I can second that, when my Corsair 520 had a dying fan slapping the grill I contacted them and they send me a new 650 pro as a replacement.
Honestly if the fan did not die I would have kept using it.......it was rock solid.
Hopefully their customer service is still the same.

My Corsair RMA was processed 12/23.... estimated delivery date 1/5

14 days... what a joke. In the meantime I bought and already received a new unit via Amazon Prime

My Corsair RMA was processed 12/23.... estimated delivery date 1/5

14 days... what a joke. In the meantime I bought and already received a new unit via Amazon Prime

Uh, two weeks turn around on an RMA is pretty common. I think you might be aiming abit high bro.

Guess so. I'm used to 2 day Amazon Prime delivery. Easier to just buy a new one. Oh well! :p

I can confirm. Sent in pristine looking PSU, received beat up unit... Luckily it's not in a case with a window.

Photos:
This one you can see this fine dust all over the place. You can see where I rubbed it off the fan support. It goes all the way down into the electronics. It's not the worst I've seen, but it should have been removed.

DSC_0311.jpg

Same stuff on the fan blades. If you look lower, same junk on the clear plastic fan guard and heat sinks.
DSC_0309.jpg

DSC_0308.jpg

Yeah....I might be knit-picking, the photos aren't the best, but this fine powdery dust is all over the inside of the unit. I think canned air will clean it right up, but I don't think it's the way an RMA unit should look. Especially when companies like Corsair send back brand new retail units.

thats not THAT bad. Clean it up with some air.

I was expecting more like this..

b56aa69e_dusty.jpeg

Yeah, I agree op, while not horrible, that is not acceptable. I would be pissed if I got something like that from them. Considering I have Seasonic power supply, this doesn't instill confidence.

Not acceptable?! That's acceptable! Yes you are knit-picking, however you have every right to do so as a consumer, I wouldn't be pissed if I got something like that. The better question that no one has asked yet is, did it solve your problem?

Not acceptable?! That's acceptable! Yes you are knit-picking, however you have every right to do so as a consumer, I wouldn't be pissed if I got something like that. The better question that no one has asked yet is, did it solve your problem?

I'll probably never know.
The time wait was long enough that I went ahead a bought a new Corsair HX-1050 which is in the computer right now. Functioning perfectly.

The RMA from Seasonic works, but I don't have any way really to duplicate a load of 700W.

I'm simply going to sell the Seasonic as used goods here on the forums.

I agree that this is pretty small potatoes, and has nothing to do with function. But, I did clean my unit from top to bottom before I sent it back. You would have been hard pressed to tell it from a new unit side by side.

I expected the same in return.

I'll probably never know.
The time wait was long enough that I went ahead a bought a new Corsair HX-1050 which is in the computer right now. Functioning perfectly.

The RMA from Seasonic works, but I don't have any way really to duplicate a load of 700W.

I'm simply going to sell the Seasonic as used goods here on the forums.

I agree that this is pretty small potatoes, and has nothing to do with function. But, I did clean my unit from top to bottom before I sent it back. You would have been hard pressed to tell it from a new unit side by side.

I expected the same in return.

Well, I had to RMA a corsair PSU and I received a NIB unit. I think I will stick with corsair considering I wouldn't want someones dusty electronics in my machine. To each their own.

Well, I had to RMA a corsair PSU and I received a NIB unit. I think I will stick with corsair considering I wouldn't want someones dusty electronics in my machine. To each their own.

I agree.

Where I'm coming from is this.......

If I was buying a used part off a forum, I might expect a little dust here and there; although if you buy something from me I try my hardest to get it to near new.

This is a company that sell top notch PSUs, their reputation is very good. But to send back something that looks like it was never cleaned or cared for since it was refurbished or whatever.....is just poor form. No attention to detail.

I agree.

Where I'm coming from is this.......

If I was buying a used part off a forum, I might expect a little dust here and there; although if you buy something from me I try my hardest to get it to near new.

This is a company that sell top notch PSUs, their reputation is very good. But to send back something that looks like it was never cleaned or cared for since it was refurbished or whatever.....is just poor form. No attention to detail.

The pics posted look like it was cleaned with an air gun. Fine gunky dust can only really be cleaned with scrubbing, and I wouldn't bother if I was a tech getting paid $10/hr to rebuild these things.

A replacement unit should not have near that much dust on it. From the looks of it, I could have blown that off by just blowing on it.

I highly doubt they even bothered cleaning that unit at all.

So my Seasonic X-1050 (less than a year old) couldn't handle loads under gaming.
The second I went into a game, the computer just shut down.
I did a bunch of trouble-shooting and identified the PSU as the culprit.
Amongst the testing was a Kill-a-watt measurement of wattage during full load, using a good working PSU and it was way under 1050 watts, in fact it was about 70% of full load.

I asked for an RMA.
Did the online request and got an immediate ok to send back.

The unit arrived in California on a Thursday and a replacement was sent out to me the very next day.

Transit was 11 days due to the holidays.

Received a plain brown box, inside were packing peanuts; the PSU was wrapped in a bubble wrap envelope supplied by UPS.
No paperwork, nothing, just the PSU.

When I look at the unit from the top, it looks like someone used it for a year and never cleaned it. The inner housing is dusty, the fan guard likewise, the fan blades are covered with fine dust.

I mean, OK, I didn't expect a NIB PSU.
I'd just like one back that was cared for like the one I sent in.
Mine was pristine, well cared for, and cleaned about 4 or 5 times a year from dust....if there was any.
Sure, the warranty says they'll replace the broken one with one that works....and that's it.

But this is disappointing. The thing is dirty....I mean......jesus.....really.:eek::mad:

Cliffs:
rant.....
Seasonic, I am disappoint.:(

Photos to follow soon......

What did Seasonic say when you contacted them?

What did Seasonic say when you contacted them?
I have not heard anything.

That his warranty is now void because he removed the fan cover.
That is untrue.
There IS a sticker on the top panel proper like any other PSU(you can see it in the photo), but the fan cover is simply attached.

Really? That is interesting as that is not part of the terms of their warranty.

You are correct. There is no harm in removing that piece, it simply covers the fan and doesn't allow access to anything.

HI Magoo, sorry for the late viewing of this thread. Our apologies for the inconvenience this has caused. Probably due to the holidays, our workers did not take the care as they normally would have and therefore this issue.
Please PM to me the RMA number and I will speak to the USA service center and see how we can resolve this issue for you.
I will also ask them to make the comparison to the unit you have sent in to make sure you have something at least as good.
Thank you.

HI Magoo, sorry for the late viewing of this thread. Our apologies for the inconvenience this has caused. Probably due to the holidays, our workers did not take the care as they normally would have and therefore this issue.
Please PM to me the RMA number and I will speak to the USA service center and see how we can resolve this issue for you.
I will also ask them to make the comparison to the unit you have sent in to make sure you have something at least as good.
Thank you.

Thanks for the reply.
I had hoped you guys would live up to your good reputation.
I PM'd you.:D

#firstworldproblems

if you liked keeping it clean and it gave you enjoyment knowing that, can be a bummer to get that. But really, #firstworldproblems :p

#firstworldproblems

if you liked keeping it clean and it gave you enjoyment knowing that, can be a bummer to get that. But really, #firstworldproblems :p

You can call it what-ever you like.
To me it's a simple rule of business, if you guarantee your work and need to replace a part for a customer, your work and care should be equal to or better than the original.
That's what will bring that customer back.
The little things, like washing a car after it's been serviced, cleaning or pressing a repaired shirt or pants, stuff like that brings the customer back.

That's how my business works. That's how I take care of my own private stuff.

To me it's a simple rule of business, if you guarantee your work and need to replace a part for a customer, your work and care should be equal to or better than the original.

It has been a week since the Seasonic Rep posted, any updates?

The little things, like washing a car after it's been serviced, cleaning or pressing a repaired shirt or pants, stuff like that brings the customer back.

I was not criticizing you :), if anything it's just for myself. ;)

Back