Seasonic Platinum 860 - Noisy?

SilverSliver

[H]F Junkie
Have had a Seasonic Platinum 860 for two years now with absolutely zero issues. Has been quiet and a great PSU.

I wake up this morning to hear a distinct buzzing at my computer, audible over the fans. It's the PSU. I check to see of the PSU is hybrid still, ie the fan is not running, and it is. Turn the fan on and no change in noise.

Anyone have any ideas? Is this something that can go away as quickly as it showed up? I hate to RMA a PSU and put my rig out of commission but the noise is obvious and I would not feel comfortable selling the PSU to another person if I ever replaced it in the future as a result.

Have had a Seasonic Platinum 860 for two years now with absolutely zero issues. Has been quiet and a great PSU.

I wake up this morning to hear a distinct buzzing at my computer, audible over the fans. It's the PSU. I check to see of the PSU is hybrid still, ie the fan is not running, and it is. Turn the fan on and no change in noise.

Anyone have any ideas? Is this something that can go away as quickly as it showed up? I hate to RMA a PSU and put my rig out of commission but the noise is obvious and I would not feel comfortable selling the PSU to another person if I ever replaced it in the future as a result.

Did you move your PC maybe?
I had the same experience with my SS X-650, but i noticed the coil wine sound only when moved my pc to another room!! Untill then there wasn't any noticeable noise!! Moved it back to my previous room, and noise wasn't audible again!! That's one of the weirdest things i have noticed in a PSU!! :confused: :eek:

Nope. No changes at all with where the computer is at or anything. Tried plugging it into a few different outlets after it started buzzing and continues.

Coil whine generally isn't an indication that something is wrong with the PSU, and can arise from a variety of conditions. It's possible a change in ambient temperature caused it. Or something over time.

Try asking Seasonic for an advanced RMA?

Coil whine generally isn't an indication that something is wrong with the PSU, and can arise from a variety of conditions. It's possible a change in ambient temperature caused it. Or something over time.

Try asking Seasonic for an advanced RMA?

I'm used to coil whine. I had a few video cards before that have had it. This just sounds like a constant bzzzzzzz. It very well could be coil related, or temperature related as it's gotten colder, but it didn't make this noise last week or last winter to be sure.

Back