• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

SeaSonic M12II

Eiolon

Gawd
Joined
Apr 6, 2005
Messages
928
I bought a SeaSonic M12II but at the last minute decided to get a 670 instead of a 570 video card, not realizing the 670 requires 30A on the 12V and mine only does 24A. Should I play it safe and get a different PSU?

Also, if I keep this one, the 8pin 12v connector is about 3 inches too short for me to use in my case cable management. Is it possible to safely extend this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095
 
I'd probably lean toward sending it back as that would solve both issues. If you used Shoprunner (I do) then return shipping is free so you're just out the restock fee.
 
It does 24v on 2 12v rails. I'd imagine you're probably looking at over 30v combined, but I'm not 100%. There's probably something on Johnny guru about this.
 
That PSU is more than enough for your 670. Just buy an 8pin extender and you'll be good to go.
 
You have 48a combined available on the 12v rails. You should be just dandy.


It does 24v on 2 12v rails. I'd imagine you're probably looking at over 30v combined, but I'm not 100%. There's probably something on Johnny guru about this.

WTF are you talking about?
 
A 670 uses less power than a 570.

The Seasonic is more than sufficient to power one, and can probably power two, depending on your CPU.
 
I am betting Seasonic has done like they often do on the S12-II/M12-II series, and branded it multi rail when it in reality is single rail. Either way, the GTX680 has a peak power consumption of 186W (15,5A), according to the TechpowerUp review of the 680. The 30A recommendation is for the whole rig, combined wattage on the 12V rail. As mentioned, you'll be fine with that PSU, even if it has 2x24A rails.
 
Back
Top