Seasonic FOCUS PX-850, 850W 80+ Platinum with 3090

celwin

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone have personal experience with matching a Seasonic FOCUS PX-850, 850W 80+ Platinum PSU with a 3090? My EVGA G2 1300 is beginning to have issues; What I'm not certain of is if a 850W PSU will be sufficient for a 3090 FE.

I know Nvidia recommends at least a 750 watt psu for an "average" system. However, depending on what else you have in your system, you may need more. If you're using a water cool system, which it appears you are in your signature, and have a lot of fans, I'd say go bigger. There have been people complaining about power supplies shutting down for over current during times of power spikes to the 30 series of cards. I'm always of the opinion to get at least 20% more than the recomended to be safe. That would, in this case, would mean a 900 watt psu or higher.

Well, just bring your 3090 on over and we can test it out ;)
Ive got duplicates of both your evga 1300 g2 and seasonic px 850(still in the box)!
The px 850 should be plenty. I would start by taking advantage of the 1300s 10yr warranty and setting up an rma with evga. Then pick up the px 850 if the turn around is going to take to long. Then either sell one or keep both and have a saweet back up unit. The 1300 g2s are going for a small fortune right now on ebay. Im assuming due to mining.

Thanks for the input. Does Evga warranty cover 2nd owner? I assumed it did not. Will find out.

Thanks for the input. Does Evga warranty cover 2nd owner? I assumed it did not. Will find out.
Im not sure if they go by serial number or if its receipt based. Then again who the hell keeps a receipt for 10yrs? If its been registered with someone you may need their help in getting the rma started but i cant say for sure. I can say if it can be done EVGA will do it for you. They have probably the best cs in the business.

Go with 1000 watts for the Seasonic. There are issues with the TX-850 and OCP tripping from 3090 cards. I have a thread about it. It is not clear yet exactly what the problem is but Seasonic's wattage calculator recommends 1000 watts now, I believe. I might have resolved it by RMAing my TX-850 but I won't know for sure for a few more days. They may have implemented a fix or maybe I just got a bad unit but there are reports on various sites about compatibility issues with TX-850 and TX-1000 PSU's OCP being tripped by transient spikes from the 3090. It isn't that the PSU is faulty per se, it seems the OCP protection is just too sensitive for the 3090.

I would RMA the EVGA if you can, however. My advice for anyone who thinks their PSU is not playing nice with 3090 is to RMA it and if the issue appears again, then look into stepping up to a new unit and get as much power as you can reasonably afford.

Go with 1000 watts for the Seasonic. There are issues with the TX-850 and OCP tripping from 3090 cards. I have a thread about it. It is not clear yet exactly what the problem is but Seasonic's wattage calculator recommends 1000 watts now, I believe. I might have resolved it by RMAing my TX-850 but I won't know for sure for a few more days. They may have implemented a fix or maybe I just got a bad unit but there are reports on various sites about compatibility issues with TX-850 and TX-1000 PSU's OCP being tripped by transient spikes from the 3090. It isn't that the PSU is faulty per se, it seems the OCP protection is just too sensitive for the 3090.

I would RMA the EVGA if you can, however. My advice for anyone who thinks their PSU is not playing nice with 3090 is to RMA it and if the issue appears again, then look into stepping up to a new unit and get as much power as you can reasonably afford.
That is some great information. Thanks! I had no idea.

https://www.evga.com/warranty/power-supplies/

Evga 2nd hand warranty purchases are based on the shipped from evga date (aka the day they got the serial tag).

Transferable Limited Warranty (Second-Hand Purchasers)​

Subject to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty, the Transferable Limited Warranty is available to second-hand purchasers with a valid proof of purchase of the transaction between the current owner and the previous owner.* The limited warranty on any Product which was originally shipped from EVGA or an Authorized Reseller as a demo or prize is not transferable to second-hand purchasers and is not covered by the Transferable Limited Warranty.

Products shipped from EVGA as warranty replacements will be subject to this warranty so long as the original product was shipped from EVGA on or after July 1, 2011.

The length of the Transferable Limited Warranty is determined by Product according to the suffix associated with each Product's identification number as set forth below and will be measured beginning from Product's original date of shipment from EVGA or an Authorized Reseller:

• 3 Year Transferable Limited Warranty Product Suffixes: -K0, -K1, -K2, -K3, -K4, -K5, -K6, -K7, -K8, -K9, -KR, -KB, -KA, -KF, -GR, -SR, -V0, -V1, -V2, -V3, -V4, -V5, -V6, -V7, -V8, -V9, -VR, -Y0, -Y1, -Y2, -Y3, -Y4, -Y5, -Y6, -Y7, -Y8, -Y9, -X0, -X1, -X2, -X3, -X4, -X5, -X6, -X7, -X8, -X9, -XR
  • 2 Year Transferable Limited Warranty Product Suffixes: -L0, -L1, -L2, -L3, -L4, -L5, -L6, -L7, -L8, -L9 -LR
Products described by the following suffixes are not covered by the Transferable Limited Warranty: -B1, -BR, -BX, -DR, -RX, -RB

*For more warranty information about original and second-hand purchases, please see our FAQ here.

Yeah, the second hand warranty has expired for me as I've had the PSU for 6 years now. Oh well, it was a solid PSU while it lasted.

Back