Seasonic 1000W + RTX 2080

PiERiT

2[H]4U
I just bought a Seasonic PSU and it's got those fugly PCI cables where a 6+2-pin connector splits off into another 6+2-pin connector. I was going to use just that one cable for my RTX 2080 and then read that Seasonic recommends against it for graphics cards that draw 225w or more of power, which I assume the 2080 does, and suggests using two separate cables instead, meaning the two split 6+2 would be left dangling.

Question is, how realistic is it that using a single cable would be problematic? Has anyone here done that with a 2080 or a similarly powerful card? I don't plan on doing any crazy overclocking and would rather have just the one cable, for cleanliness.

Edit: Never mind, I ended up buying some extension cables so I can use two cables without it looking awful.

Last edited:
I just bought a Seasonic PSU and it's got those fugly PCI cables where a 6+2-pin connector splits off into another 6+2-pin connector. I was going to use just that one cable for my RTX 2080 and then read that Seasonic recommends against it for graphics cards that draw 225w or more of power, which I assume the 2080 does, and suggests using two separate cables instead, meaning the two split 6+2 would be left dangling.

Question is, how realistic is it that using a single cable would be problematic? Has anyone here done that with a 2080 or a similarly powerful card? I don't plan on doing any crazy overclocking and would rather have just the one cable, for cleanliness.

Edit: Never mind, I ended up buying some extension cables so I can use two cables without it looking awful.
Have a 850w Seasonic, 2x 1080 Ti EVGA SC Black. It was fine for about 10 months with a single cable but then starting getting resets (computer would reboot when both 1080 Ti's were really loaded, Shadow Of The Tomb Raider). Went top two cables per card with one end dangling on each (ugly). It worked for awhile and now I am getting resets again. Power supply saw about 8 months of 24/7 usage for mining as a note. Once I update my other case which is getting a 1600w EVGA power supply, the 950w PC Power and Cooling PS (which is 5 years old and just works no matter the load) will replace the disappointing Seasonic.

Back