Seasinic X 850 dual pci-e cable, safe to use?

T_A

Limp Gawd
I'm putting my new system together and I noticed that the pci-e cables have dual 6+2 plugs each.

I'm using a 980GTX with 2 8 pin sockets.
Is it safe to power it from a single cable ?

Of course I'm asking for better cable management.

If this is the PSU you're using it is safe, as it has a single 12V rail, so it doesn't matter if you use one or two cables.

Yes, it is. They wouldn't put two if the cables aren't thick enough to handle it, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

For me, I zip-tied two separate legs together to make the cable management better and yet have dedicated power for each PCIE power input on my card.

Yes, a Seasonic X850 will power two GTX 980's without a sweat. That's a very well built unit and the GTX 980 is surprisingly efficient. The Seasonic X 650 would power SLI 980's.

I'm putting my new system together and I noticed that the pci-e cables have dual 6+2 plugs each.

I'm using a 980GTX with 2 8 pin sockets.
Is it safe to power it from a single cable ?

Of course I'm asking for better cable management.

I can speak on this no doubt. The dual 6+2 plug design while works for most people does fail. I know this for a fact as I'm melted the insulation off the wires and they shorted on a 7950 setup I had. This was on a Seasonic X Series 850 watt. I've also had this same thing happen to a XFX 850 which is based on the seasonic design. This occured on running video cards at stock clocks and running them for 1-2 weeks straight 24x7 at 100% gpu load.

My friend had this happen to as well but he bumped up his stock clocks 50 mhz but didn't mess with the voltage. I have done a lot of GPU mining for crypto back in the day and I can say without a doubt the dual plugins can fail and do. I always recommend using a dedicated 8 pin pci-express connector for each plug on the gpu. Now if you aren't gaming straight for more than 24 hours you'll probably be fine :) I've powered 4 7950's off these psu's and they run fantastic, it's just they should have run thicker guage wire to account for 300+ watts running through each pci express wire since it can feed to 8 pin connectors which are 150 watt rated

A pic of generally where these wires fail
http://www.overclock.net/t/1398219/...cies-club-and-general-information-thread/8420

Last edited:
Back