searching for a low budget sound card.

Unless your onboard audio is giving you electrical interference I highly doubt you will hear a difference in your price range. In fact, you could end up with a downgrade instead of an upgrade. :)

If music quality is a priority, the Audigy SE is lacking, even in comparison to an Audigy 2. I recommend a Via Envy based card if you can fine one. Look around for a used or open box Chaintech AV-710 or any card that used the Via Envy-HT/S. I've used an M-Audio Revo 7.1 (based on the Envy HT) and music quality is superb on any speakers. It's also passable for gaming.

You'll likely be limited to second hand markets, but that's not a bad thing. There were many other Envy vendors, so look around, do some research. The Chaintech sold for only like $30 when it was new.

After a bit of searching, I am only able to find one Chaintech AV-710
For $15.00, it's extremely cheap, but I was wondering if anyone else here can give a second opinion on this?

I have an AV-710 but I only use for music with digital out to an EMU 0404 USB. Lots of people say it is good for music in analog if you switch to the rear output to use the other better Wolfson DAC on it. Why that is I don't know. Why would it make sense to put the better DAC on the rear speaker output instead of the front? If you go to headfi.org computer audio forum section there is an article on how to do it and which drivers to use.

Personally, I would spend a bit more money and get this soundcard. That is Canadian price and you can get it for less in the U.S. I have a friend with one so I have heard this card and it is good for music.

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=11779&vpn=9900-50765-00&manufacture=M-Audio

M-AUDIO Audiophile 2496

Back