• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Searching for a Gadget...

Lrdtalon

Weaksauce
Joined
May 24, 2005
Messages
123
Ok so i am sure i am not the first person to look for this, but i can't really seem to find any good solutions.

I want to be able to copy files from a compact flash card to an external hard drive without the computer. The only thing i have been able to find is the Belkin USB Anywhere. All the reviews i read about it says that it is ridiculously slow.

When i travel i want to be able to backup my camera cards to an external hard drive, but i don't want to have to carry my laptop. I never to any processing of my pictures till i get home, but i want to be able to back them up and/or clean off my cards.

Anyone have any advice?
 
I was hoping for something that that i could plug my own hard drive into and then plug a card reader into, or something that has a built in card reader. The key being able to plug my own hard drive into...
 
oh ok. Sorry can't help ya then..
Do let me know if you find something though. I took 20gigs with my SLR going to europe a month ago. Only made it because I could back up at my sister's midway through.
 
This what I found. I bought just the shell, cause it seems like I can stick any 2.5" HD into it...

I'll let y'all know how it goes when I get it...
 
hm, that looks pretty cool. maybe a bit pricey at $250 for just the case, but pretty flexible since you can drop any 2.5" drive in there.

Very interested in hearing how it performs!
 
$600 for a 750GB mechanical HD? LOL!!!!!:p For that price get an Andriod or even a Windows 7 tablet.
 
'Digi foci' makes some crap product that does it, super slow and ghetto looking, but I think its <$200. Hyperdrive is by far the best, don't be retarded and just don't buy it w/harddrive from them, $250 for hdd-less version and get a 500GB laptop drive for $69 on newegg. Really its hyperdrive or nothing. IMO I say get nothing. Hyperdrive is apparently fast, but why not just go buy a few 32GB CF cards? I'd take 4 32GB CF cards vs some small CF card and Hyperdrive.
 
why not just go buy a few 32GB CF cards?
Exactly my thought. I have 2 x 32GB SD cards for my camcorder. It's the most compact format that exists, much lighter than a hard disk + card reader + power transformer or batteries. If you don't want to carry a netbook, why bother with a hard disk solution that's almost as cumbersome?
 
I'd just grab a $200 netbook and slap in a 500gb hdd.

I want to agree, but being able to pull the card from the camera, replace the card with another, drop full card into a pocketed dedicated, one-button CF dump machine, and keep shooting would be muuuuuch more convenient.

Is what I described what you need, OP?

Personally, if I were shooting all day I'd carry four 32GB cards. Empty in the right pocket, full in the left. If I snapped anymore shots or recorded more video than that, I'd have to power the camera down, eject the CF, and let the camera cool down. (EOS 7D)
 
All of those suggestions are good, but what i was looking for was a solution so i didn't have to bring a laptop and could survive with only my iPad.

IRSmurf pretty much hit the nail on the head, plus having the cards and being able to back them up to a disk for additional security was the other idea. The Hyperdrive should be here today, and i have a spare 250GB drive laying around that i will shove in there.

Hopefully wit will be cool :)
 
If anyone cares the Hyperdrive is pretty awesome. to unload an 8GB card it takes about 5 minutes. It is really easy and make for a great way to either backup your cards on a shoot/vacation or as a place to store your pictures to you can then empty your cards to shoot some more.

As a bonus you can load up movies and stuff onto the drive and then watch them from the IPad. Also with the IPad's ability to view RAW images, you can view your images in a larger format, which helps determine if you need to reshoot, or if you just want to show your clients the images on site.
 
arent there wireless cards that actually can send your photos somewhere? Perhpas I saw them as SD cards though. Do they make a CF version? use a sd wireless card in a sd to cf adapter, send photos to nearby laptop or network. Rinse repeat
 
1. Buy a pico-itx computer with a CF slot and hard drive (check out mini-itx.com)
2. install an OS and configure it to run headless
3. Write/find software that loads on bootup, and copies the contents of the CF drive to hard drive.

then just plug the computer in, give it 30 seconds to boot up. plug in flash drive and wait for it to copy. if you want to get fancy you can write something to blink some LEDs via a COM port when its done loading. way cheaper then those other $400+ options.
 
1. Buy a pico-itx computer with a CF slot and hard drive (check out mini-itx.com)
2. install an OS and configure it to run headless
3. Write/find software that loads on bootup, and copies the contents of the CF drive to hard drive.

then just plug the computer in, give it 30 seconds to boot up. plug in flash drive and wait for it to copy. if you want to get fancy you can write something to blink some LEDs via a COM port when its done loading. way cheaper then those other $400+ options.

Not practical at all.


I think you're looking for something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-Pic...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1288482480&sr=1-3

I've seen one before, albeit an older model, but they work quite well actually.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top