• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Search feature

Joined
Dec 4, 2004
Messages
846
I know how much everyone tell's people to use the search button so they can look for information that has already been posted before they post a new topic. When I search for a topic and don't like my search results and decide to go back and modify my search, is it really necissary for me to have to wait 1 minute in between searches. I was getting fed up with not getting good results and having to modify my search yet wait 1 minute in between so i could look again. Trying to find a topic on seeing if there was a way to check how many posts i have made took me like 4 minutes. What is the reason for this, and maybe could it be cut back a little bit to make the already under-used search feature less of a daunting task that I want to use less than it already is.
 
they have to have a dedicated server just the handle the database for this forum because of the amount of searching that is done on it.. there is a big thread from a month or so about about this forum going down for a week over a "15 minute" optimization.. i don't understand it tottally, but either mysql isn't made to handle quite the strain that is being put on it by this forum, or there are just some things that need to be done to make it more efficient..

there was a long time where there was no search feature at all.. so this is better than that at least..

but the simple answer is it puts a lot of strain on the servers.
 
use the search button, this has been posted before ;) lol jk :D

yeah.. it does kinda make it hard to find what your lookin for with the 60 sec thing.. but it does reduce the load on the server especially from people who abuse it just to take a chunk out of the server itself.. i personally think 30 seconds would be just as good.. but its not my site.
 
HeThatKnows said:
You can use Google to search the forums. Just add site:hardforum.com to your search, like this.
wow, i had no idea you could do anything like that. I am trying to think of how long I have been using google :)
 
Lot's of fun to had with Google. The advanced search modifiers like site:, intitle: and inurl: are a lot more powerful than most people realize. Linky.
 
of course, there's no way for google to keep current, but if you really need it it could work
 
I wasn't aware of the Google thingy, that is a neato tool for searching without overloading our server. Most of the searches here are trying to find older posts and would probably work well for that type of search. :cool:
 
I just wonder how google can handle so much usage and allow everyone that wants a gig of space on their servers for gmail.... they must own the internet.
 
I think they have more than one server :p

ThirtySixBelow said:
I just wonder how google can handle so much usage and allow everyone that wants a gig of space on their servers for gmail.... they must own the internet.
 
It would be very interesting to figure what percent of total web capacity (cpu, storage, bw, etc) was under Google control.
 
MajorDomo said:
I wasn't aware of the Google thingy, that is a neato tool for searching without overloading our server. Most of the searches here are trying to find older posts and would probably work well for that type of search. :cool:
They do. :)

<--avid searcher.

Techhead, you don't have to limit it to the site, try just your name.

Your #4 on the list.

I have a less common nick, so I'm first.
 
Back
Top