Seagate Unveils Wireless Portable Storage

HardOCP News

[H] News
Seagate Technology and Motorola both said today that they had invested in the portable storage market in an attempt to meet the rising need for storage for cell phones and smart devices.

Seagate unveiled a wireless 10GB to 20GB storage device, intended to fit in users' pockets and allow them to store and share digital files between mobile phones, PCs, and other mobile platforms.

Guess it'd be nice to have just in case, but now there's two things in my pocket I'd have to worry about.

I dunno. I think utilizing a website specifically for phone-to-phone transfers would be more convenient for users. Of course, the site would require a subscription fee. Guess DAVE would be less expensive in the long run, but I'd rather only have one device (or two, counting an audio device) on my person to worry about and to protect.

Sounds like the start of an Idea I came up with for High pixel cameras andmaybe even consuer cameras, basically it would write to a wireless drive through a buffer giveing you mega storage and redundant safty.

As far as small devices like a cell phone/mp3 player mmmmm meh maybe. it would allow head units in cars to access to your music without needing a player, you could save massivly bigger pictures and longer video on your phone and without transmission and service fees.

I like the idea but I think Segate will have to find a Killer app or two to pitch to the OEMs so they get on board.

I don't see how this would be a high demand market.

Why would I give a shit?

For this function I want a USB2.0/FW/SataII box with NAS ability and wireless built in. That would be useful.... but 10-20 G drives.... wtf. How about 500GB ftw.

Im suprised this type of NAS solution isn't there already for a reasonable price... $79 w/o drive maybe?

Back