Seagate ST4000DM000 won't initialize

CeZemal

Weaksauce
So I just bought a Seagate 4TB and threw it into my desktop. Upon booting, the computer hung up a little bit after POST, but eventually it booted up normally. It then told me the drivers installed correctly, and sure enough the hard drive shows up in my device manager, but when I go to Disk Manager to partition the drive, it asks me what I want to do with it then I get the whole "Request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

I have it connected properly into a SATA 6gb/s port with the right cable. I swapped around cables and drives inside my system and nothing seems to change. It is spinning (it's vibrating), and it pops up as Disk 3 in Disk Management, but it just won't initialize. The BIOS doesn't seem to see that it's there either.

Someone please tell me I didn't get a $160 paperweight. I Googled the problem but didn't seem to find anything on these drives not initializing properly, and anything I found on Google on this subject didn't really help me out. Any suggestions?

EDIT: For what it's work, Disk Management also says there's only 128GB on the drive.

Older motherboard that doesn't support that large of a drive maybe? Maybe you can put it in a USB enclosure and format it that way?

Didn't mention my specs, for some reason I thought they were at least in my sig (which I actually don't even have).

P67 Sabertooth
i7-2600k
Intel 128GB SSD
Samsung Spinpoint 1 TB and 2 TB

The problem is it won't partition. I know to use GPT, I try to do this in Disk Management but it just gives an error and tells me to get bent :(

What type of sata port did you connect it to? Native? 3rd party? Are drivers up to date? Is ahci on?

I connected it to a SATA 6gb/s port on the motherboard, drivers are up to date.

you still didn't answer the question

what port

Intel® P67(B3) chipset :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), brown
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), black
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Marvell® PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller : *1
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray

Sorry, I have it plugged into one of the Grey ports, but also tried having it plugged into a brown one, still no dice. It's back in the grey port right now though. You were right about the BIOS update, it was pretty out of date, but after flashing to the newest BIOS I still am coming up with the same I/O device error.

I read somewhere something about jumper pins. Right next to where the SATA cable plugs in, there are 4 pins. I read somewhere something about a jumper to put on the left-most 2 pins, but I only purchased the bare drive from newegg and not the retail kit, so I don't have a jumper. Could this possibly be the issue? And where would I even get this jumper to put on there?

EDIT: And for the record no, I did not take this drive out of an external. I'm using the product as it was sent to me by Newegg.

Last edited:
Your hardware is new enough that this drive should work fine without any jumper.

Yeah that's what I'm sayin. I really don't want to have to RMA this already, I'm still thinking maybe there's something I'm missing.

Windows 7 and it was wrapped in brown paper in a white box wrapped with about 100 yards of bubble wrap.

Think I'll go start the RMA process :(

Windows 7 and it was wrapped in brown paper in a white box wrapped with about 100 yards of bubble wrap.

Think I'll go start the RMA process :(

thats not ESD safe. there was no pink or silver plastic ESD protective bag?

Back