Seagate Solid State Hybrid Drive issues

Loki008

2[H]4U
I picked up one of the new Seagate hybrid drives and installed it in a thinkpad SL510. I was having issues with the drive making a "chirping" sound and becoming unresponsive. I ran seatools and it failed. I exchanged the drive and installed the new drive. I am now getting the same chirping of the new drive. I just ran seatools and the drive failed a long test.

Now the question I have is, do these drive have reliability issues, or is there a compatibility issue with these drives somehow with lenovo? I have a second RMA setup but I am starting to get concerned with these drives. To add to the issue is that the is in my SO's laptop so I am not getting many points for the "upgrade".

If you end up with a third bad one, then something may be going on in the lenovo that is killing it. I "believe" you just got extremely unlucky with 2 bad ones in a row. I have several of these running in different environments and have not seen or heard of any reliability issues with them.

As a person who has sent back 10 to 15 drives at work each year for the last 3 to 5 years to Seagate's RMA facility in Texas (although the last RMA they changed that to California) I have had more than a few drives come back from the RMA DOA or died in the first 90 days. Although obviously too small of a sample size to say anything statistically.

Last edited:
Back