• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Seagate OEM - What adapter do I need?

flurp

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 14, 2004
Messages
111
Hi.

Please forgive this question, which will surely seem inane to most of you. I've never built a computer before and frankly, rarely open the box on the one I have now.

I want to buy this (note the OEM information in the product description)

Seagate 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model ST380013AS, OEM


and I want to connect it to this

Antec 480 watt 120mm fan ATX 12V v2.0 power supply, Active PFC, Model "NeoPower" -RETAIL


Is this the "power adapter" that the Newegg description of the hard drive is referring to?

Alpha Digital 6-Inch SATA Power Adapter (15-Pin) to Power Supply (4-Pin) -RETAIL -OEM

I'm not 100% sold on the power supply because I'm trying to keep my costs down, but assuming someone can help me find the "adapter" I need, can I also assume that the adapter would work regardless of the power supply I purchase?

I really appreciate the assistant of anyone who takes time to help me out. I've spent over 40 hours on the boards the last week or so and this is my first post. I'm just about done with my selections and this is one of the last few niggling details I'm trying to hammer out.

Thanks!
 
actually the psu already comes with a sata plug. correct me if im wrong
 
Thank you so much for replying to my post flat4.

Here is what I found in a review at silentpcreview.com

1) 2 x 32" cable w/ 3 standard 4-pin power connectors
2) 32" cable w/ 2 SATA connectors
3) 20" cable w/ 3 standard 4-pin power connectors
4) 18" cable w/ 2-conductor 4-pin power connectors marked fan only
5) 24" cable w/ 6-pin PCI Express graphic card connector
6) Took desperate leap to escape from photoshoot; last seen on the run w/ 11)
7) 6" splitter cable w/ 4-pin connector to 2 floppy drive connectors
8) 24-pin to 20-pin ATX adapter
9) AC cord
10) The spare SATA and 4-pin standard connectors already detailed

I see it mentions SATA "connectors" but I wasn't sure if this was the same as an "adapter" as listed in the Newegg information.
 
yeah U dont need the adapter, just use the SATA power connector.
 
NP dude, this is a good place for info.
I know I have learned a lot here, and am always happy to pay it forward
 
Back
Top