Seagate Momentus XT

How she explained the cache to me was that it records an activity log for each file (im assuming by file she meant block) and the ones that are accessed most often get put into the NAND storage... now with defragmenting... my question was what happens if someone defrags every night... and the cache fills up with those files being defragmented since they would in essence be "accessed" every time the defrag goes... seems to me the NAND would fill up pretty quickly.

Im going to shoot off the email tonight i have a huge list of questions about how the drive operates, i will include yours as well and post the results here when i hear back from them (should be early next week)

File level would be interesting since that would mean a smaller look-up table than blocks. The only thing that would speak against it if there were some reason that file level tracking would be OS specific which is what Seagate said that their new implementation is not.

Good one about the defrag. Hard to speculate what they are doing unless they share more information on their caching scheme.

The drive wouldent be able to tell on a fileleve basis, it would all be block level....

But yes, many questions that i hope they can ansear for me/us :D

Just picked up 2 myself to test at work. Decided to throw them into 2 macbook pro's we have. So far everyone seems to like the drives in terms of price and performance.

awaiting some long term results. i am seriously considering one, but I just want to make sure i don't make the wrong move.

Subscribed!
Thanks for this thread, Should prove to be valuable to anyone looking for info on these drives (myself included :D).

Every drive should have this, but with 8GB of SLC.
Also, every OS should recognize when a SSD is connected and ask you if you want to use it as a standard HDD, or use it as a massive read cache for all the other disks in the system.

It's going to be difficult to evaluate these hybrid disks using standard disk benchmark tools... If the benchmark is truly testing random access, it won't hit the same blocks on the next run and they won't be cached... For large contiguous reads, the controler probably doesn't bother to cache them.

Answers to "does it seem fast?" will probably be more accurate than most benchmarks.

Is there a benchmark that times common windows tasks and tests them over multiple reboots? Things like opening and closing a web browser, an email app, an office app, logging on, etc.

For these hybrid drives, a good web server benchmark that runs for an hour or more, may be an excellent test that would correlate to real life.. A web server might have millions of files (most of them small), but only 5% are getting hit over and over.

I could run WorldBench 6 with at least 3 consecutive runs and see if the results get better each time. Plus these aren't synthetic benchmarks which is good. Only bad part is I can't use my laptop during the testing which is going to take a long time. :(

I looked into this and found 2-year old article stating that SSDs consumed the same power as 2.5" hard drives (.5W-2.0W). Is this still the case? Looking at the X25-M, they give "typical" active and idle power ratings (75mw, 150mw) and I have no idea how realistic that is.

Has SSD power consumption really gone from 2 watts to 150 milliwatts?

Well all I wanna know is if it's any use to use this as a secondary drive, since I'm already using an (older) SSD as my C drive.
Will the extra flash provide a performance boost when it's not your boot drive?

I echo this. I just bought a M11x R2 and I'm tempted to try one.

Shipping date for my R2 is Sept 7th. My upgrades arrived yesterday, which consists of 8 gigs of GSkill PC 8500 CL7 and the Seagate Momentus XT 500 gig, which I bought together on Newegg combo deal for $280 (and got some free solar panels to boot).

Once I get everything tweaked, I'll try and post results.

Back