Seagate ES vs AS?

mindaugas

Weaksauce
Seagate has that business class side of their drives, specs are pretty much identical except the business side actually has life hours compared to the normal consumer side which doesn't boast a certain amount of life hours. I was wondering what everyone's opinions are on the business side vs consumer side for Seagate? Is it worth the extra $40 per drive to get the business class drives? both drives have the same specs, both SATA, transfer, latency, all that are identical. Thanks

<opinion based on ZERO facts>
I think that it's mostly a marketing gimmick. I would not pay the extra money.
</opinion based on ZERO facts>

Seagate has that business class side of their drives, specs are pretty much identical except the business side actually has life hours compared to the normal consumer side which doesn't boast a certain amount of life hours. I was wondering what everyone's opinions are on the business side vs consumer side for Seagate? Is it worth the extra $40 per drive to get the business class drives? both drives have the same specs, both SATA, transfer, latency, all that are identical. Thanks
Chances are the firmware will be different and each is designed to perform in it's intended environment. I can't say for sure though. $40 for extra warrantly.......I wouldn't bother.

The ES drives have different firmware.

The ES firmware handles error correction differently and is set up to better support random access events.

ah, ic, the FW makes sense. well, its ultimately not my decision, but I wanted some info past the marketing, thanks guys

Chances are the firmware will be different and each is designed to perform in it's intended environment. I can't say for sure though. $40 for extra warrantly.......I wouldn't bother.

Warranty is the same on Seagate: 5 years.
The ES drives have different firmware.

The ES firmware handles error correction differently and is set up to better support random access events.

got a link to verify this? I know that WD says this about their `raid edition' line of drives. I was unawares that Seagate made the same claims.
Data Sheet

Back