Seagate Drops The World's Largest Tiny Hard Drive

It's still a Seagate. I wouldn't use it if they gave them away for free.

if that price is correct, they will do some serious damage to hard drive pricing. Means more TB for our dollars!

Sadly, these drives are nowhere near what was quoted on here:

Thank you for contacting Seagate Support.

You asked about the MSRP for the ST5000LM000. I had to do a bit of digging on this to see if I could figure out the discrepancy.

The MSRP for this drive is $239.49. The Minimum Advertised Price (which sellers must remain above in order to qualify for any promotions) is $226.99.

I am not certain where these news sites got the $85 value, as not even a 2TB unit is that low in cost. It is possible they read $85 for another product and got the two confused somewhere, but I can find no documentation put out by Seagate that mentions $85 price range. My guess would be that one page made the $85 claim, and then other sites saw the number and assumed it was valid.
Please reply to this email if you require further assistance. We are available Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Central time.

Regards,
Zach
Seagate Support
HyPNbUlEniYru1RuFH22bc8MjntEgLTGgGblIOfiBQAKqwdIjT3Av4yyudNKgwUmnmBg0NkZkV0tgxyovdD6PJKzIDx8TGfMrxTJdMvrEYTa9miXFfPlD7I9S9dt6rvEakBgEKsV6hDcGfexiff45h5WxUwF2lS0U1SH=s0-d-e1-ft

Yes, that is not at all surprising. Whoever wrote the first article should have done some fact checking before publication. Sadly, that seems to happen less and less these days.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nope, $85 = to cheap to be good
plus only 5,400rpm sounds like old stock they are trying to move

Seeing more drives going to 5900 RPM these days as density increase so does performance thus 7200 RPM is not the end all for performance on an HD..

Nope, $85 = to cheap to be good
plus only 5,400rpm sounds like old stock they are trying to move

These are 2.5" drives and they're still not $85. If you're looking for storage density, they're a decent choice. IIRC, all of the 5TBs are SMR but some of the 4TBs are PMR.

These are 2.5" drives and they're still not $85. If you're looking for storage density, they're a decent choice. IIRC, all of the 5TBs are SMR but some of the 4TBs are PMR.
Saw that, newegg US has them for $150 range for the 4-5TB's...pricey for the size vs 3.5 counter parts, but of course smaller = more expensive like most things

Back