Seagate Drives

jrg70

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 23, 2004
Messages
84
I'm looking at getting a SATA drive. I'm partial to Seagate because I have had good success in the past with them.

I'm wanting a 500GB drive.
16MB cache

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCompare.asp?Category=15&N=2010150014+50001305+1035915133+1035407760&Submit=ENE&Nty=1&Manufactory=1305&SubCategory=14&CompareItemList=N82E16822148108%2CN82E16822148136%2CN82E16822148151

Here are three drives at newegg.
I believe the "...641AS" is not Perpendiculat Recording.
What's the difference between the "...630AS" and "...630NS" models?
The only difference I can see the AS and NS in the part number.

This drive will be used in a system that runs 24/7. It will be used mostly for storage of mp3 and photos, videos, etc. Eventually it will be used in a new system build and will probably be partitoned and have operating system and such on one part. and storage on the other.
 
I asked this question not too long ago. The AS is more for desktops and the NS is more enterprise. Although, a few people here, including myself, that don't really think there is much of a difference.
 
I would say you would be fine with either, and any of the 7200.10 line is perpendicular recording
 
Thanks for the replies.

The "NS" model is priced just a little higher than the other. Either would probably be just fine, and the cost isn't a big concern. Do you know any of the actual differences between the drives?

Also, are there any problems with getting one 500GB drive?
Am I better getting two drives with smaller capacities on each?

Thanks.
 
Thanks for the replies.

The "NS" model is priced just a little higher than the other. Either would probably be just fine, and the cost isn't a big concern. Do you know any of the actual differences between the drives?

Also, are there any problems with getting one 500GB drive?
Am I better getting two drives with smaller capacities on each?

Thanks.

I asked that a few weeks ago, and no one seems to know for sure. Ask Seagate?

Nope
320GB models seem to be the sweet spot for pricing, but if you can afford larger drives, I say go for it.
 
The NS series supposedly has better vibration-resistant properties, for use in large arrays.
 
I asked this question not too long ago. The AS is more for desktops and the NS is more enterprise. Although, a few people here, including myself, that don't really think there is much of a difference.


Last week 2 articles about very large studies using thousands of drives found no support for "enterprise" versions of drives being better than the vanilla versions. One study was Google's and it was based on thousands of drives it used over time. One less thing I will have to dwell about in future.
 
Back
Top