Seagate Barracude XT 3TB 7200/64/6Gb/s - $150

Can you really trust any of them? Samsung you have to flash some of their drives on arrival (2tb), seagates fail often, WD fail too (just not quite as often but still more than usual), hitachi got bought out so who knows how warranties will be handled. The only good thing about the current situation is drives are cheap (maybe thats why we have seen so many problems to many corners being cut). So far my new 1tb hitachi and 2tb samsung (after flash) have been fine. I would think seagate has gotten on top of there stuff by now, I haven't seen as many doa/dead newer drives.

I nabbed 3 of the 2TB Seagate LP drives over the holidays, and they've been fine for me so far. All the storage in my server is WD, but I've had one or two older WD drives fail in the past (<320GB). It's entirely up to you as to whether the cost savings is worth it.

boy haven't bought HD in long time, bought 2 160GB seagate runs fine for oever 6 years now, bought wd and maxtor too been least 4 year on maxtor and two on WD all runs fine. i thing problem starts at bigger HD, as i've seen many of them failed at bigger capacity.

Best Buy has the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk for $150 right now.

Just bought one, and the disk inside is a Seagate ST33000651AS! Very nice drive which is $230 on NewEgg right now. Figured it's a good enough deal!
WOW, is my friend going to be one ticked off individual... He just got this on Friday and paid 200 bucks for it.

I gotta send him this link.

It's a good price indeed. Problem is - can we trust Seagate?
You ain't kidding... the reason why my friend bought a 3TB is because his Seagate 2 TB just took a dump.

It was working fine one minute, he even moved like 5 GBs from his Thumb Drive to the 2TB drive, used the Safely Remove Hardware, took the thumbdrive out and 20 secs later he lost all the files on the 2TB drive... about 1.2TBs of images, docs, etc, etc.

I am trying to rescue but I am not having much luck with it. Easy Recover Pro keeps telling me that the drive is "Unidentified".

Use R-Studio, make an image of the drive and work with that.

I got 15 Seagates running in a Raid array been going fine for 3 years so far no issues. Never had a hard drive i owned take a dump, but just had 2 at work go, 1 seagate one WD. And a friends go which was WD. Think it's just if you get lucky or not.

Yeah, with HDDs its all about luck. Everyone knows someone who knows someone who had a Seagate/WD/Samsung go bad on them, yet everyone also knows someone who swears by Seagate/WD/Samsung too.

I've had two drives fail. The first was a 40GB Hitachi in my wife's Dell laptop that lasted a couple years. Replaced that with a 120GB Seagate drive that failed shortly after.

Drive was bought brand new and only lasted like ~6 months. Laptop was never dropped and never seemed very warm.

On the plus side, Seagate RMA'd quickly without issue, and they sent us a 160GB back. So far that drive has been fine (though it is now in an external enclosure that rarely gets used). I've also had another 2.5" 160GB drive from them (these are both 5400.3's) that hasn't skipped a beat in almost 4 years now. I've also got a pair of 500GB Seagate LP drives that have been fine so far (2 years maybe?), but they aren't very active. Running a RAID1 that I just sync our laptop personal folders to each night.

Thats a great deal! I almost want to get it, I've reached the 1.7gb mark on my 2gb WD...but I should probably wait for 4 or 6gb since resale for hard drives is jack diddly diddler.

Can you really trust any of them? Samsung you have to flash some of their drives on arrival (2tb), seagates fail often, WD fail too (just not quite as often but still more than usual), hitachi got bought out so who knows how warranties will be handled. The only good thing about the current situation is drives are cheap (maybe thats why we have seen so many problems to many corners being cut). So far my new 1tb hitachi and 2tb samsung (after flash) have been fine. I would think seagate has gotten on top of there stuff by now, I haven't seen as many doa/dead newer drives.
No, but that is what backups are for. :p

Back