Seagate backup plus 4tb not recognized anymore

EquaLiZr

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
May 8, 2000
Messages
5,841
The last time i used it was about a week ago with no problems. Now when i plug it in, it tries to search the contents of the drive and never finishes. I cannot see anything on the drive and it asks me to format it so it can use it.

When i plug it in i do hear the normal sound "da dum" but thats as far as i get :( How can i fix this? thx
 
well i took off the usb3 adapter and plugged it right into my computer and it says the drive is blank and needs to be formatted. Is there anything i can do? I went into disk management and its split into 3 partitions. The first one says its active and the other 2 are un allocated. It was not partitioned before.
 
Well i used Easeus data recovery program and got the files off. But what would cause the drive to turn "RAW"?

No matter what i do the computer will not see the drive. I cannot format it or anything. Of course the one thing i didnt buy ext warranty on :(
 
Last edited:
But what would cause the drive to turn "RAW"?

Bad sector containing the partition table?

I would check the SMART using CrystalDiskInfo to see if the drive believes it is behaving abnormally.
 
The only program that will detect the drive or anything on it is Easeus data recovery i bought. IT detects it in disk management but when i click on it to format it or give it a drive letter, everything freezes.
 
The only program that will detect the drive or anything on it is Easeus data recovery i bought. IT detects it in disk management but when i click on it to format it or give it a drive letter, everything freezes.
These External Seagate 4TB HDs behave very strange. I bought the model STBD4000400, it has the ST4000DM000 HD model in it.

I connected it to the USB3.0 port on my computer, formatted to make sure it did not have any encryption software.

I copied about 950GB of data to this 4TB HD, then I removed it from its enclosure and put it in another 4TB enclosure and now Windows 7 says the hard drive needs to be formatted, so I did but the 4TB hard drive showed as having 3 partitions.

There was no way to see it with Acronis Disk Director to make one partition. I wanted to make a backup with Acronis but I was also unable to do it because Acronis will not see the 4TB hard drive.

Also, within windows 7, under Disk Management, I was unable to delete all the partitions and make only one.

OK, after all this problems, I put it back on its original external enclosure and guess what? Everything was there as if I never formatted. Lesson learned for me? Don’t get this hard drive out of its external enclosure and put it in another enclosure.

Perhaps your enclosure is bad and outside of that enclosure I don’t think that there is a way to work with this hard drive. Unless it gets format in a way that can be seen by the BIOS and Windows.

Check this out:
Support for 2TB & larger hard drives
 
Last edited:
I copied about 950GB of data to this 4TB HD, then I removed it from its enclosure and put it in another 4TB enclosure and now Windows 7 says the hard drive needs to be formatted

This part is expected (at least by me). The external USB enclosure reports 4K physical / 4K logical sectors not 512e however when you plug the drive into a SATA port it will use 512e since that is what the firmware of the drive does. This is the same as my HGST Touro external and others. I believe the reason for doing this is MBR will work with 4TB externals when they report 4K sectors because there are then 1/8 the number of sectors and that will be less than 2^32 so it will work with MBR partitions.

Here is a HGST external

Code:
jmd0 zfs_4t0 # fdisk -l /dev/sdd 2> /dev/null
Disk /dev/sdd: 4000.8 GB, 4000786149376 bytes, 976754431 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 4096 = 4096 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk label type: gpt


#         Start          End    Size  Type            Name
 1            8    750147583    2.8T  Linux filesyste Linux filesystem
 2    750147584    828790783    300G  Linux filesyste Linux filesystem

And a 4TB Seagate internal

Code:
jmd0 zfs_4t0 # fdisk -l /dev/sdb 2> /dev/null
Disk /dev/sdb: 4000.8 GB, 4000787030016 bytes, 7814037168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk label type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1               1  4294967295  2147483647+  ee  GPT
Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.
 
Last edited:
Hi, a little late but have you tried updating the Intel RST drivers? I have the same CPU and maybe you have the same old drivers on your mainboard. That caused my HDD to become RAW because the older Intel driver has a problem with HDD over 2 TB. As soon as you hit the limit about 2 TB it will write the data to the first sectors destroying partition tables etc. And the disk will only be recognized as 747 GB.

The latest three or four Intel RST drivers didn't work for my mainboard, but version 12.​0.​0.​1083 did.
 
Hi,

Just wanted to chime in. This doesn't affect Seagate but WD as well. I bought a WD 3TB Elements USB2 since it was cheaper than the bare 3TB drive. Anyways got about 2TB worth of my ripped blu rays on it via USB and then took it out of the enclosure and put it in my PC's SATA port. To my horror it didn't show up in Windows explorer. Showed the same thing as your Seagate under disk management. Put it back in the enclosure and transferred my movies off no problem, took it out again plugged into sata and formatted it under windows. Now I have no problem.

But I have no clue as to why Windows didn't recognize your Seagate while it was int the enclosure. A bad enclosure maybe?

On a side note, I too got the same Seagage 4tb as yours but I took it out of the enclosure and formatted it under windows. Now it works without any problems.
 
Back
Top