seagate 7200.8 problem

taichi

n00b
Hey people,
I just got a new seagate 7200.8 250gb ide for my msi nforce2 mobo... Im trying to install windows xp on the hd but it will not install.. the (up-to-date) bios detects the hd.. the drive is set to master with no slave.. I know the hd works because it was a slave hd for awhile.

i boot windows xp cd, create the partition, windows setup copies the files onto the drive and the system restarts.. after it restarts it boots the cd up again.. i tried taking out the cd but then it shows "please enter a boot cd" (something along these lines as if it does not detect windows setup files).

anyone know why my hd will not boot???

thanks

taichi said:
it was at disk-cd-hd
i tried disk-hd-cd

still nothing..

but what HD, connected to what device?

It is probably looking for an IDE HD to boot from.

I don't know your MB, but I am sure this is the issue, poke around in the BIOS some more I am sure there is a setting you are missing.

==>Lazn

how many hard drives are in your machine?
There is usually a boot order for the Hard Drives and if the one with the OS isn't #1, then you get an error saying no boot device found, please restart the machine.

WS6 said:
how many hard drives are in your machine?
There is usually a boot order for the Hard Drives and if the one with the OS isn't #1, then you get an error saying no boot device found, please restart the machine.

I get the impression he only has the one in here (and removed the old IDE hard drive)

So my feeling is that it is more of a matter of a settings in something like "integrated periferials" or similar that tells the SATA ports how to behave.

For example, I can have my ICH5R's SATA be "SCSI" or "IDE" and run it in Combined or Enhanced, or SATA only, etc.

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA2MjE0MTU5MWVFOThuZmpNWFlfM18yX2wuZ2lm
http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA2MjE0MTU5MWVFOThuZmpNWFlfM18zX2wuZ2lm

Edit: my bad, I see that his drive is IDE and not SATA.. so as long as the BIOS is finding it, and he is set to boot from the HD, he should be good to go. Strange.

Edit2: What motherboard are you using?

==>Lazn

I'm pretty sure Lazn_Work is right.. as long as I have one hd in it, it should boot from that hd.. but its set at hdd-0 which im sure is the master drive.

the mobo is a MSI K7N2 Delta-L which is a nforce2 chipset

there's only one ide hd connected to it.

thanks for the help

Some older motherboards had problems booting from too large a partition, you could try creating a smaller partition just to see if that helps. (then you would have a logical c: and d: drives on the one physical drive)

==>Lazn

right now i have c: set at 45gig and the rest on d: (which is around 190) which isnt working..

i havent tried making one big partition either.. should I make the c drive even better?

At this point I would try something like downloading the UltimateBootCD and using it to recreate your partitions, and set the C: drive as active, then try installing windows onto that.

==>Lazn

Back