Seagate 7200.2 200GB drive "clicky".. should I worry?

SuperSubZero

2[H]4U
I just got a new Seagate 7200.2 drive to replace my old Hitachi 100GB 7200. I've installed XP64 and got it fairly configured, but one issue I am having is this drive is unusually chatty. It seems at random times it clicks very audibly.

Anyone else got one of these drives that can shed any light on this? I am nervous and I have my old drive ready to pop in if needed.

I just got a new Seagate 7200.2 drive to replace my old Hitachi 100GB 7200. I've installed XP64 and got it fairly configured, but one issue I am having is this drive is unusually chatty. It seems at random times it clicks very audibly.

Anyone else got one of these drives that can shed any light on this? I am nervous and I have my old drive ready to pop in if needed.

Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: Back up your stuff and worry less. I had a similar drive 7200.9 200GB (3.5" disk) and it started clicking from time to time and died maybe 4 months later. So yeah.... back up and run a disk check or two.

I ran the SeaTools util on it, and it seems to think nothing is wrong, but I am being careful. I am probably going to call Seagate and see if they can shed light on it or RMA it.

Back