Seagate 7200.10 does not like hot-plugging?

drizzt81

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
12,361
I have a Linux machine with an A8N-SLI mobo. I would like to hot plug and unplug my HDDs. After some troubleshooting I have come to the conclusion that my Seagate 7200.10 does not like to be hot plugged or unplugged. Unlike my WD5000YS and my SP1614C, the Seagate HDD initially only wanted to be hot-plugged in the SiI controller. Without the SATA-150 jumper it even refuses to do that. When hot-plugged it behaves very flaky. I was once able to copy ~120 GiB of data to it, but could not erase any of it at a later time. I couldn't even get it to unmount (not even umount -f worked). I have run the diagnostics: quick test came back ok, I aborted the full test after ~50%, since I needed to use the PC.

Is this an isolated incident? Could someone else try theirs? I have tried the following:
Linux kernel 2.6.18-3 and 2.6.20
With and without the SATA-150 jumper

Should I just sell this POS (I am sorry, but I am NOT happy) and get another RE2?
 
The Western Digital "RE" drive (raid edition) support hot plugging, so does the SP1614C

I dont see the Seagate site saying the 7200.10 is hot pluggable....
 
I have a Linux machine with an A8N-SLI mobo. I would like to hot plug and unplug my HDDs. After some troubleshooting I have come to the conclusion that my Seagate 7200.10 does not like to be hot plugged or unplugged. Unlike my WD5000YS and my SP1614C, the Seagate HDD initially only wanted to be hot-plugged in the SiI controller. Without the SATA-150 jumper it even refuses to do that. When hot-plugged it behaves very flaky. I was once able to copy ~120 GiB of data to it, but could not erase any of it at a later time. I couldn't even get it to unmount (not even umount -f worked). I have run the diagnostics: quick test came back ok, I aborted the full test after ~50%, since I needed to use the PC.

Is this an isolated incident? Could someone else try theirs? I have tried the following:
Linux kernel 2.6.18-3 and 2.6.20
With and without the SATA-150 jumper

Should I just sell this POS (I am sorry, but I am NOT happy) and get another RE2?


Try a diffrent controller. I had the same issues but once I switched controllers those issues went away. I found that some controllers just don't like drives to be hot plugged whereas it would like other brands.

My suggestion would be to try a diffrent controler and work from there.

The Western Digital "RE" drive (raid edition) support hot plugging, so does the SP1614C

I dont see the Seagate site saying the 7200.10 is hot pluggable....

SATA is a hot pluggable interface...
 
Try a diffrent controller. I had the same issues but once I switched controllers those issues went away. I found that some controllers just don't like drives to be hot plugged whereas it would like other brands.

My suggestion would be to try a different controller and work from there.
Well, I have tried both a Silicon Image 3124 and the nVidia interface. One of them is 'flakey' the other one says no. I don't have many more options and most certainly I am not willing to invest much money.
 
Work just fine for me, i have 5 of those drives and all work fine, pull them out of my raid array sometimes just to make sure it's working right. But sata by spec is hot swapable and that drive is SataII so it should conform pretty well to it. You might need to rescan your disks in disk management or if using raid, update your bios.
 
Back
Top