SeaGate 4tb $100

I had two 3TB Seagates die on me in less than 6 months...I know they had problems with that drive in particular, but it's going to take a lot for them to win back my trust.

HGST / Toshiba / WD or death!
Now Seagate (really Samsung's) 2.5" 4TB (ST4000LM016) is a totally different story.

I've been tempted since I think Microcenter carries them at that price point, or at least has for the last month or so. I need to buy 2 more 4TB drives to rebuilt my storage, I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on another Seagate desktop drive. Been hoping that someone would run a sale and get something else down in the price point. Still kicking myself for not buying all the HGST I needed back last year when Fry's was selling them between $89.99 and $99.99. Just didn't have the cash to drop on 6-8 drives at the time :(

I had two 3TB Seagates die on me in less than 6 months...I know they had problems with that drive in particular, but it's going to take a lot for them to win back my trust.

Indeed. My experience with Seagate has been you get what you pay for. But this is so cheap that I'm very tempted...

Spend $5 more and get Western Digital 4TB Blue drive instead? Or this?

Spend $42.50 or $65 less and get a WD Black or Toshiba 7200 4TB, lol
I wish they had more than 1 of each.

Best deal I had in a few years,
amazon-order-cheap.jpg

IMG_0726.JPG

One of my two 4TB 000s started accumulating bad sectors on me a few months ago after about 3 years of ownership. I replaced them both with 4TB 005s last month.

They've good drives in my experience. Quick, quiet and energy efficient.

I've not been happy with seagate and have been happy with hgst but it really comes down to individual models and generations. There is no fix answer here; but my hope is by 2021 4+ TB ssd will be price competitive. Might not happen in that time frame but fingers crossed.

Back