Seagate 300GB making random noises in External Enclosure.

alphaoenz

n00b
I purchased a Seagate 300GB uata drive and a Bytecc USB2.0 external enclosure a few weeks ago and just recently, the harddrive just starts "buzzing" and ticking 4-5 times then "skipping" with 3-4 ticks really fast. It'll do this for a minute then stop and then start again in a few minutes and go on and on like that. I'm wondering what this noise is and if it means my new drive is on its way out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'd guess it's due to the power supply. Try it in a desktop machine with a good PSU for a while and see if it straightens up. I had a pair of 120gb seagates that did this until I moved them from a 200w psu to a 550 enermax server psu. I have 6 disks on that one with no problems.

... which has a cheap little power supply in it, and may not be able to convert enough power to DC to adequately power the hard drive. The drive isn't running off AC...

Try it in the PC. It can't hurt anything.

This model drive performs internal checks if it's been left idle for a while, this is normal. This has been discussed on storage forums and storage review.

MaxBurn said:
This model drive performs internal checks if it's been left idle for a while, this is normal. This has been discussed on storage forums and storage review.

Nice, thanks.

Back