Seagate 1TB - $159 - Zipzoomfly

ZZF packs/ships their OEM drives better than Newegg does.

I haven't had to RMA with ZZF, so I can't say how good/bad they are if you get a DOA/bad drive.

Looks like a nice deal, once my 640gb's fill up I will be moving into the tb drive territory.

That is a good deal.... please oh please I hope my 750GB holds out for another 3-4 weeks when prices stabilize at this mark for 1TB :)

ZZF packs/ships their OEM drives better than Newegg does.

QFT. I love the little foam box thing they ship their OEM drives in. Tons better than a couple wraps of bubble wrap that the Egg uses.

Thanks for the link BTW. I might have to pick a couple up...

BACK IN STOCK

Merchandise Subtotal $639.96
Estimated Sales Tax $0.00
Shipping Charge $9.81
Estimated Total: $649.77

I lollygagged last night and missed out. Grabbed 2 for real this time. I've been checking their site on and off today. Thanks for the heads up!

I was thinking about one of these but heres my problem. I've done RMA's for both WD and Seagate. The WD drive I got back was brand new but the SG drive was an obvious refurb, it said on the drive "certified repaired". I'm weary of how the warranty transferred or not on the SG drive, yet I know for a fact that the WD will be honored for 5 years.

Any experiences anyone?

I've gotten new and refurb from both WD and Seagate. It varies.

This deal is extremely tempting to upgrade my RAID array, but I think I'm just going to be reasonable and burn more stuff to DVD that I'm using less.

I was thinking about one of these but heres my problem. I've done RMA's for both WD and Seagate. The WD drive I got back was brand new but the SG drive was an obvious refurb, it said on the drive "certified repaired". I'm weary of how the warranty transferred or not on the SG drive, yet I know for a fact that the WD will be honored for 5 years.

Any experiences anyone?

The seagate drive will transfer the warranty length from the original unit. IE: your drive fails after 3 years. The replacement drive will have 2 years left.

At least that is how it worked when I RMA'd a drive 3 years ago.

and if you're boycotting zzf, microcenter had these exact same drives for not all that much more... i think it was 179 or something

I'll just wait a few weeks for my $20, I can stand to have 250GB not backed up for a bit.

*crosses fingers*

Seagate has a place on their website to check a drive's warranty that is left. It doesn't matter who owns it. I've never had to replace a Seagate, but WD has not been so good. I'll buy their high end only (Raptor Series).
Thanks for the link OP. I'm building a Win Home Server and need about 4 of these, so every little bit helps :)

Holy hell... $150 for 1Tb? Where have I been? Last I checked they were $400+. Wow, guess I'm out of the loop.

How are these anyway? Quiet? Fast?

woot got my drives
drives.jpg

was actually hoping to get 20 of those "foam boxes" they usually ship hdds in but original mfg box is ok too :D

woot got my drives

was actually hoping to get 20 of those "foam boxes" they usually ship hdds in but original mfg box is ok too :D

ahh, so that's why they're sold out...

got any extra? :D no seriously :p

woot got my drives
drives.jpg

Looks like someone is folling the master. I think I better start stepping up my game :p

I think you got nothing to worry about Ockie :p those drives will last me for pretty damn long time, I'm only at 5tb of data right now

Those are for work right?
I can't imagine anyone needing 20TB of storage for themselves.

Those are for work right?
I can't imagine anyone needing 20TB of storage for themselves.

LOL no, not work, it's for my home file server. And while I won't need 20tb right away I'm just trying to ensure I won't run out of a space for a while( 2 years?) I'm still trying to come up with a name for the project but once I do I'll post a full work log with details

LOL no, not work, it's for my home file server. And while I won't need 20tb right away I'm just trying to ensure I won't run out of a space for a while( 2 years?) I'm still trying to come up with a name for the project but once I do I'll post a full work log with details

Won't 1TB drives be cheaper than what you paid for them by the time you get around to putting them all to use?

I learned the hard way not to buy that many drives at once, regardless of price. Back in 2001 I bought 20 80GB drives in bulk, and seven years later, three are still in their ESD bags.

Back then drives were ~$2/GB, though. Now they're ~$.13/GB typically. Wouldn't it be great if in another seven years, drives cost 1/15th what they cost today, and they were less than a penny per GB?

While it is true that drives will get cheaper over time, it won't take me more then 2-3 years to fill up those 20 (~17TB). I could have started with 10 drives and add more drives as I need them but avoiding the hassle of having to expand my array and hunting for the same brand, model of hdd is worth few extra $$$ to me. Even if 1tb drives go down to $100 a piece that would still only add up to $500 or so in savings. I guess it depends on personal point of view, some people would like to save some $$$, personally I rather have a reliable, hassle free storage system that once setup I won't have to touch for long time.

Won't 1TB drives be cheaper than what you paid for them by the time you get around to putting them all to use?

I learned the hard way not to buy that many drives at once, regardless of price. Back in 2001 I bought 20 80GB drives in bulk, and seven years later, three are still in their ESD bags.

Back then drives were ~$2/GB, though. Now they're ~$.13/GB typically. Wouldn't it be great if in another seven years, drives cost 1/15th what they cost today, and they were less than a penny per GB?

It beats the hell out of running out of array space and then being forced to expand your array, only to find that they no longer produce that model... and then to have the luck as I have of having a failed expansion which leaves you with a large portion unusable unless if you want to unload the entire array and re-create the entire thing from scratch.

I'll take all the drives I can than doing many expansions over time... I have confidence on the expansion, but why take the risk.

Secondly, 80gb those days were big, but it could easily be seen as to how you can run out of that much space (cd's are 700mb, so it didn't have to take much), 1tb will probably last a longer time than the 80gb generation did IMO.

Yeah and I'm currently out of space... doh!

While it is true that drives will get cheaper over time, it won't take me more then 2-3 years to fill up those 20 (~17TB). I could have started with 10 drives and add more drives as I need them but avoiding the hassle of having to expand my array and hunting for the same brand, model of hdd is worth few extra $$$ to me. Even if 1tb drives go down to $100 a piece that would still only add up to $500 or so in savings. I guess it depends on personal point of view, some people would like to save some $$$, personally I rather have a reliable, hassle free storage system that once setup I won't have to touch for long time.

I didn't realize you planned to put them all in a single array.

I still don't understand the desire to have same manuf and especially model. Do some RAID cards really make this necessary? (I've never used one...)

But seriously, buying the same and all at one time does not in any way guarantee reliability or lack of hassle. If the model you buy turns out to be problematic, like the Maxtors I bought, it can be a nightmare. I was sometimes RMAing two drives at once, sometimes three drives a month. Within six months or so, Maxtor refused to warranty them anymore. That's why I have three left, I decided to just "scrap the crap" and not use them.

Seagate (who owns Maxtor now, obviously) has also given me similar problems in RMA. My RAID card didn't like some drives due to their SMART values, Spinrite upon testing the drives would warn me about the SMART values, but Seagate would make me (back in 2005, anyway) use their diagnostic software. Since it could pass a surface scan, regardless of impending failure, they refused at that time to RMA it. So, for its intended use, the drive was now useless to me. (I ended up just testing the drive with Spinrite until the point of failure...)

So, after my experiences, I might MAID that many drives together, but I wouldn't suggest RAIDing that many together. But I've used Hitachi, WD, Samsung, Seagate and Maxtor. They're reliability in my experience is listed in the order above. I've never RMAed a Hitachi or WD, Samsung a few with zero hassle, Seagate a handful with some hassles (real pisser is I only own a handful...), and Maxtor's already spoken for. Since they're running in the same environment, on the same equipment in the same systems, I'll conclude it's the drives.

I know it's all a Russian roulette anyway, and while I'd like to run the config it sounds like you are planning to (so I'm not knocking you here), I've just lost lost my faith in the hardware.

Hopefully you are running RAID-6...

ya it will be going in raid 6 with probably 2 hot spares, as for drive reliability I currently have
8 seagates 500gb in raid 5 and 7 wd 320gb in raid 5, they been running virtually 24/7 for past 2 years.
Not a single failure or hiccup. But then again just last week I RMAd 4 wd drives at work. It is a bit of a russian roulette, you take your chances and hope for the best.

It beats the hell out of running out of array space and then being forced to expand your array, only to find that they no longer produce that model..

Again, I've never had to use the same model. What RAID cards are you using?

Because RAID cards should not work that way. Drive models are always going to go out of production. There's a very good chance of RMAing a drive and not receiving the same model back anyway. (Maxtor and Seagate will do this to you...)

So, if you already have used all of the drives available, and one fails, and have no spares and need that exact type of drive, haven't you dug a hole for yourself?

I'm pretty sure I've gone over this before...

I've said this before, and perhaps even to you already: If you need the exact same drive for potential replacements, you need to keep some around as spares. Regardless, at some point there's still the potential for having dug a hole for yourself, I would believe.

I care about your data, too. That's why I am pointing this out.

And this is why I would never use any configuration that apparently demands the same model of drive.

I still don't understand the desire to have same manuf and especially model. Do some RAID cards really make this necessary? (I've never used one...)

If you want a reliable array, then it's recomended.

But seriously, buying the same and all at one time does not in any way guarantee reliability or lack of hassle. If the model you buy turns out to be problematic, like the Maxtors I bought, it can be a nightmare. I was sometimes RMAing two drives at once, sometimes three drives a month. Within six months or so, Maxtor refused to warranty them anymore. That's why I have three left, I decided to just "scrap the crap" and not use them.

Actually it does. If you have a bad drive, the worst thing that can happen is that all your drives can be bad, which means you need to replace them all. With proper homework and observation/research, you can avoid this easily as this guy has.

Now, if you had an array and you had multiple batches, multiple types, multiple brands, from multiple stores... your likleyness of having a "bad batch" can screw you big time.

Seagate (who owns Maxtor now, obviously) has also given me similar problems in RMA. My RAID card didn't like some drives due to their SMART values, Spinrite upon testing the drives would warn me about the SMART values, but Seagate would make me (back in 2005, anyway) use their diagnostic software. Since it could pass a surface scan, regardless of impending failure, they refused at that time to RMA it. So, for its intended use, the drive was now useless to me. (I ended up just testing the drive with Spinrite until the point of failure...)

If your drive is dead and the surface scan passes or they refuse RMA, then kill the drive. There are a thousand ways to do it :)

So, after my experiences, I might MAID that many drives together, but I wouldn't suggest RAIDing that many together. But I've used Hitachi, WD, Samsung, Seagate and Maxtor. They're reliability in my experience is listed in the order above. I've never RMAed a Hitachi or WD, Samsung a few with zero hassle, Seagate a handful with some hassles (real pisser is I only own a handful...), and Maxtor's already spoken for. Since they're running in the same environment, on the same equipment in the same systems, I'll conclude it's the drives.

I've RMA'ed more WD and samsungs than I have of Seagates. I've had zero issues with seagates process and they make it super easy... you can do it all online.

Also, I don't know where you have been for the past 5 years or so, but running this many sata drives in raid is common... especially in business. We have hundreds of these things in arrays.

Again, I've never had to use the same model. What RAID cards are you using?

I use: Areca, 3Ware, Adaptec, LSI, Supermicro, and Dell.

It's recomended, not required.

So, if you already have used all of the drives available, and one fails, and have no spares and need that exact type of drive, haven't you dug a hole for yourself?

Like I said, it's recomended, NOT required. However, if you want to run the risk of losing an entire system by gambling another vendor drive (such as Samsung or WD which are having issues with a lot of array controllers and even embedded non-raid controllers), then be my guest.

Gee. You guys are wayyy too [H] for me... I'm still toying with the idea of getting a 1tb drive...

Gee. You guys are wayyy too [H] for me... I'm still toying with the idea of getting a 1tb drive...

+1 these guys are crazy while I toy with the idea of just picking up one for myself.

Back