• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SE3016 Expander Board Functions/Manual

Doug183

n00b
Joined
May 8, 2014
Messages
4
I have been using 2 SE106 expander boxes with a FreeNAS server for over a year and overall they work wonderfully I did mod them heavily to make them quiet. I swapped out the PSU for a 430W PC version. I took off the back of the SE3016 box completely and put two 120MM fans back there to exhaust hot air. I run only 10 drives in each expander box right now. However, I am finding that drives drop offline occasionally, an sadly on a frequent basis. One expander box is much worse than the other. And if move the drives to the other ‘good’ box, the drives to no drop off the ZFS raidZ2.

Has anyone else experienced this? My gut reaction is that it’s a backplane issue, and perhaps a heat problem.

So my solution is to remove the backplanes and replace with breakout cables. However that leads me to one big question. What are those 4 ribbon cables that run from the expander board to the back plane? I have yet to find a manual about the SE3016, so if there is one, please point me to it. If not, any experts who know? Are these cables only for running LED’s perhaps?

For those concerned with that the PSU (Corsair CS 430) is underpowered, I have run the calculations and with 16 drives need Maximum power (Spinup and or reading), my specific drives would need 10.37amps from the 5V and 23.1 amps from the 12V. The PSU is rated at 5V – 20amps and 12v – 32 Amps. Also note, I am having this problem with only 10 drives.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026
 
No pics, but I will take one later. There is that power board in the SE106 - one end goes to the power button and the other the old power supply. I left that board in place and simply spliced in the same color wires from the PC PSU.

I went for for new mod and no longer am using the backplanes nor those ribbon cables, so that setup does work. I think you are right and are for LEDs. Considering how much money I saved, not a bad deal, but I still would love for the expander board to pass the Serial number of the drives onto FreeNas.
 
The SE1016 has 4 backplanes right? If one was bad it should only affect the drives in that row. Is there a pattern you have observed with the drops or are they all over the chassis?
 
I modded mine far less, just putting quieter slower fans, without making the holes bigger, so in all likelihood everything is a bit on the hot side, yet I've never experienced any dropouts.
 
Back
Top