SDM-HS94P Backlight Bleeding Problem

Mine was dropped by UPS during shipping. You have to call SONY and send it back to them or "RMA" it back to them. They should send you a brand new one. That is what I am hearing mostly. Not refurbished but a new monitor. For the price of this monitor they expect they should have to send a new one.

Okay, I have a 2004-33 LCD. I do notice a bit of uneven backlighting on the left and right sides of the LCD. (My biggest complaint is I have dust under the screen that is noticeable and tends to draw my eye, otherwise all pixels seem fine. I am curious as to what you folks are telling Sony to get them to send you a new monitor? Are they putting up no fight when you guys complain about backlighting and just sending a new/refurb out? I at 60 days out from purchase (11/19/2004) The folks that have gotten refurbs..how have they been? Pixels and so on? Thanks...

PS - This is my third one...The first two multiple dead pixels....

R :confused:

If you want to see what tearing is all about, fire up half life 2. You will notice without vsync enabled, you do not see the weapons hud. It is impossible to tell how many rounds you have left. The refresh rate doesn't really matter much. Yes vsync only enables you to display a max of 60 FPS but your drop off in FPS will occur if it is on or off. Example.. If you have it off andyour computer is cable of displaying 100fps at a high point and 50fps at a low point then with it on you will have 60fps for a high and 50FPS for a low. Point being you will only drop below 60FPS with vsync enable when the card is not able to produc 60 frames a second. The human eye can only see video displayed up to the 60FPS mark. Meaning that you will not notice the difference between 60FPS and 100FPS. Either way you go, you will still have the same low no matter if it is enable or not.

I talked to the sony online support live and they said I have to talk to the guys I bought it from, which was compusa. So I'm waiting for them to get them in stock to exchange it.

On an odd note - I think the backlight bleeding issue develops over time. When I first got my new monitor...it didn't have it, but it developed within a week. I RMA'd it and the newer one didn't have it AT ALL...but again, within a week it has slowly started happening again. It's not nearly as pronounced and it's no worse than any other LCD monitor I've seen, but it's not always something that happens right away.

On a side note -what's the opinion on DVI vs. Analog for this monitor? DVI seems to have motion blur when looking from side to side in FPS games and I really haven't noticed a difference in quality. What are some opinions?

This is to [email protected]

To RMA my monitor through Sony I had to go through hell and back. They believed me, but it's tough to actually get in touch with anyone who can actually do anything about it. Keep asking for supervisors...that's the best way to start. In terms of what to tell them, tell them it looks like a big "X" on your screen when on a black screen and that it stays regardless which settings you're using or DVI/Analog. They'll make you go a few random things involving turning off the power and unplugging/replugging the monitor. If you bought the monitor 30 days ago or less, if you go off and insist on a week 44 monitor or later, they'll send you a new one. If you bought it 60 days ago, they'll send you a refurbished one. If need be, you can tell them to look up issues with that monitor that have been reported. I've called them about 30 times, so I'm pretty positive they'll know of the issue by now :)

HA HA.

Just received my new monitor and it is flawless. The hilarious thing is I talked to the company I bought it from yesterday and they have no record of sending a replacement for the one that they sent to me originally that UPS damaged. So I am going to keep bitching until they send a second replacement. I guess the customer service should have been nicer and not treated me like crap. If they were nice to me this whole time I would be honest with them. Guess what? You treat a customer like me badly and I get over on you when I can. On top of that. The UPS idiot that dropped it off did not have anybody sign for it. I mean how dumb can you be. How could you drop something so expensive off and not have anybody sign for it. That is just stupid. I have had DVD club DVD's stolen off of my porch from UPS just putting them on my porch before with no signature. So I am going to be a shiester and say I never received a replacement monitor and finagle my way into another one and sell it on Ebay.

I also have zero backlight bleeding.
It is a week 46 monitor. JOY!

Nice - but I'd keep the 2nd monitor for at least a few weeks. When I got my replacement week 48 - it was flawless for a week and then the bleeding started again. It's not even close to my old week 39, but it's certainly there. I think the glue that holds the bezel to the screen might be the issue here.

This one is a 2004-47. No light bleeding that i've noticed but I just plugged it in. Have only had it on for about 15 minutes, and have not loaded the drivers yet. Noticed (so far) 1 bluish pixel just above address bar. No problem with it being dark towards the top. I haven't adjusted the brightness down yet, but i will. Overall very happy with the image so far. Was also looking at the samsung 21 inch 213t, but the picture looked mushy in comparison. Thanks to all the posters who clarified the issue with this monitor, cause i wanted it but only once i felt reasonably sure the issues i've read about here and elsewhere could be resolved did i buy it. So far so good.

Mine is manufactured in 46 week and I have just bought it and I am excited!From the week can I be sure that she hasn't got problems or she won't have?Because if I understood well the screens that were manufactured after the 43 week they don't have problems.Am I right?Thanx in advance!

P.S.Guys I am also confused with the TCO.It didn't have anything!Can anyone inform me finally what it is going on with this?Because I have read in another threads that it has TCO! :confused:

z0dd said:
I bought a Sony HS94P from CircCity and there is one stuck bright blue pixel in the MIDDLE of the screen that drives me crazy!!!

What can I do about this? I don't think they accept exchanges on 1 bad pixel and they charge a 15% restocking fee on returns.

Arg!!

Mine is a week 46 screen with no backlighting problems at all.

I got a week 47 i think, that looked amazing but had dead pixel in lower left area that was driving me insane. I got it at Circuitcity and returned it. I toled them it had a few dead pixels and the screen was flickering (a lie), and they gave me another one. This one is week 45, and I'm having a little light bleeding, but I guess this is better then a dead pixel.

Got my replacement monitor. My original was a week 33, the refurb they sent me is a week 39 (I was over the 30 day limit) The refurb looks good the backlighting is alot more even than my week 33. And as luck would have it, not a single dead pixel. As a side note, does anyone put on the silly decorative panel in the back? I don't, I honestly think that the panel is worthless and is only good for increasing the internal temp of your LCD, by blocking perfectly good vents.

One thing this line is also plagued with, is dust. Quite abit of dust seemed to have gotten into my original display.

R

Yeah, I also think that plastic panel is pretty pointless. I wouldn't mind it so much if they actually had some vents on it, too.

How's your service with Sony been? I *STILL* haven't recieved anything to send my old monitor back with. They told me I'd get a UPS pre-paid postage with return info...but it's been 2 weeks since I got my new one. Then again, my replacement was also 2 weeks late. The Sony people have been hit or miss. They're usually nice, but painfully inefficient.

Liquid_Cooled said:
IMG_0294.jpg

WOW! I thought that was my desk for a second. I have the same Cooler Master case except with blue plexi instead of green, liquid cooled, same Logitech mouse and speakers, same Motorola modem, but different keyboard. Also, I just received my SDM-HS95P in the mail last Friday... it's SWEET! It's my first LCD, so I can't compare, but so far I like it more than my old 21" Sony CRT E540.

LC, Do you have your drives stealthed?

How's the backlight bleeding on the hs95p? You're the first person I've heard that has one so far.

I've got a week30 HS94p which suffer from the backlight bleeding problem. Effect is more pronounced around the edges as many have already stated. Yet I haven't seen anyone mention another aspect of this problem. The bigger issue is that it affects the whole screen and not just the edges. What I mean by this is that even though most notice the bright areas around the sides, the leakage permeates throughout the entire screen. This make for blacks that are really not true black(tends toward dark grey) and contributes to overall reduced contrast of all images.

I say this as I've seen mine and also seen a diplay model at Circuit City that was week 47 and the difference is huge. I changed the windows wallpaper to black and immediately noticed how black the screen was compared to mine(at the high setting). That said, I called Sony last week for a replacement which hopefully I should be getting this week. If you have an early build of this monitor, don't try to mask the problem by lowering the brightness/backlight settings or trying to convince yourself its inherent to the display. You deserve nothing less than perfect monitor for the price these things go for.

Called Sony this afternoon to check on the status of my RMA and they tell me that I need to fax in the receipt for a new monitor. They tell me this NOW after I requested RMA last Wednesday? Its now Monday and if I wouldn't have called they probably were going to sit on their ass and do nothing as they've got nothing to lose. Like someone mentioned, keep on your toes if you do decide to go thorugh RMA.

Guys, I'm wondering where would be a good place to buy this monitor online, so I could be assured of the fixed revision? I seriously spent all day going around to every store that carried it around this area, and NOBODY had one with a black bezel. You want a silver one? All over the place. I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, yeah, I'm wondering, should I buy it from Sony direct through their Sony Store online? (edit: nevermind, I guess you can't buy it through Sony!) Or should I get it through some other online retailer? Thanks.

you wanna know what i did to get a black bezel version of the hs47p?

i RMA'd a silver one, haha

you're right though, both best buys i went to have 20+ silver ones, and NO black ones (although, oddly enough, all their display models were black)

Dealing with Sony's tech support is a nightmare. The best advice I can give is to avoid dealing with them if you can. Best Buy will return a monitor for pretty much any reason if you return it in less than 2 weeks. I'd suggest waiting 'til they get rid of their backstock of week 30's and get one there.

Keep this in mind though - the backlight problem can appear over time. My week 48 was flawless for about 5-6 days but now has it, too. It's not like my 39 was, but it's certainly still there. In a game like Vampire or Doom you'll certainly notice.

Domingo said:
Keep this in mind though - the backlight problem can appear over time. My week 48 was flawless for about 5-6 days but now has it, too. It's not like my 39 was, but it's certainly still there. In a game like Vampire or Doom you'll certainly notice.

Sounds to me like whatever they're using as a seal is coming loose(heat?) Wonder if leaving the back cover off will make any difference.

Domingo said:
Best Buy will return a monitor for pretty much any reason if you return it in less than 2 weeks. I'd suggest waiting 'til they get rid of their backstock of week 30's and get one there.

Are you talking about their web site? I was about to order a HS94P from BestBuy.com, but if they are still sending out week 30's...

I'm not sure about Best Buy's website, but most physical retailers ordered a lot of HS94P's before the holidays as it was a pretty hot item...and they still have stock left over. When I was shopping around for mine back in December, stores either had none at all *sold out) and were re-ordering in January...or they had a ton they just got in.

You might try to contact someone on the Best Buy website to see when they got their last shipment at whichever store/warehouse yours would be coming from.

Okay, so I got my bro's replacement finally, it's a week 47 and there is only a very small amount of bleeding at the top. didn't see any dead pixels so we're pretty much set. I left off the back panel to see if it helps though I didn't notice a lot of heat coming from those vents, but vents they still are and I don't think they should be covered at all.

Finally got a week47 as a replacement and very minor bleeding on the left edge but much better than wk30 I had. They sent a black one so guess thats a plus.

I don't know why everyone keeps saying the back cover blocks the vents. It doesn't, I took my back cover off after I had my lcd running for a few hours in a 74 degree room and the cover wasn't even warm. All of the heat from the display comes from the top vent, which is not covered by the back panel. If anything it helps protect the lcd from dust somewhat which is why I keep it on.

After playing around a little with color settings, I've actually found some color settings I *really* like.

What I did was set the brightness and contrast at 50%, set the backlight to 0, temperature to "user" and then ran the nVidia 7x.xx display optimizer.

I ended up with my brightness around 65, contrast around 60, and the display wizard works wonders with the colors.

While not necessarily going to do anything about any serious blacklight issues, it's finally something that's all-purpose and has vivid blues and greens without looking washed out or having to swap between 9300k and 6500k. In a lot of ways it's a pretty neutral setting that has the best of both.

After 3 months my monitor developed the same symptoms, I just called Sony and they are sending me a new one in a couple of days. It will be refurbished the guy said but still newer than the one I have which is a week 39.

My new one arrived today its actually a refurbished week 36 but its 100% better than the other one when I set them up side by side, no dead pixels either thank god

Damn sony...
I sent my lcd directly to sony. After a month they sent me a letter telling me the repair was done and i could pick it up. The problem is they didn't repair it, they say it's "within standard parameters" :eek:
I doubt having a sort of green-ish aureole on the right part of my screen is standard.

Well to continue this story my replacment which was perfectly fine for the first 2 days has developed the same problem on all four sides. This does happen over time and is really pissing me off now. I dont think there is any point in replacing it again either its obviously a design flaw somehow.

btw. with sony SDM-HS94P in windows xp display settings ,
is it better to use 16bit colors or 32bit ?

i think the monitor supports 16bit colors (or less) ,is there any point using 32bit
color in windows settings or should i better switch to 16bit ?

Just a quick update on this issue, after my third return to Sony I finally have a monitor with no backlight bleeding at all. Its a week 43 monitor and has no dead pixels either. At last I am satisfied with the thing. If you have a less than perfect monitor I would contact Sony they even cross shipped and paid the return postage for the other LCD.

Back