SDM-HS94P Backlight Bleeding Problem

OlivierMDVY said:
My monitor has zero dead pixel, so in my opinion it's better to keep it.
By the way, what is the best settings to work under Windows ?
9300k ? I try the following settings; 9300k, backlight: 40, light: 45, constrast 80 but the white is a little too bright for my eyes...

i had the EXACT same problem , the monitor was extremely bright .

as i said before try this :

set the backlight profile to : USER
go to the menu then choose : Color sRGB and set backlight to 40
those are the best to choose for normal use ,browsing etc .

if you want to play games just switch to the default "middle" setting,
BUT with 6500 color .

regarding the sRGB setting try this;

set your light to 80 for example and set the sRGB setting: the screen remains bright
set your light to 40 and set the sRGB setting: the screen is darker than before

it seems that the sRGB only modify the contrast setting ?

OlivierMDVY said:
regarding the sRGB setting try this;

set your light to 80 for example and set the sRGB setting: the screen remains bright
set your light to 40 and set the sRGB setting: the screen is darker than before

it seems that the sRGB only modify the contrast setting ?

sRGB doesn't affect the backlight setting ,so you can use any value you want.
if you are talking about the brightness level ,it's better to leave at the default setting (31).

The brightness default is at 31?

I tried to use the Nokia monitor test suite. The best brightness should be around 43. Am I right?

I don't get any flickering... Are you using dvi or vga? I'm using dvi and it looks fine with my all purpose settings I use. And lcd should never flicker in the first place as it doesn't refresh like crts do, it's either on or off with a still image.

I'm using dvi, it's amazing because if i use a brigthness level of 41 for example it's flickering and for a brightness level of 43 no more problem...If i raise the brightness level it's flickering again...

Hmm, I would consider taking it back then. My brightness is at 42, backlight 36, and sRGB for color temp/contrast and it looks fine on my screen.

Yes! There is flickering, I have noticed it with websites that use the same kind of background.

Changing the brightness decreases the flickering or increases the flickering... every three steps the flickering stops.

flick,flick,flick,no flick,flick,flick,flick,no flick..etc...

emerge said:
Yes! There is flickering, I have noticed it with websites that use the same kind of background.

Changing the brightness decreases the flickering or increases the flickering... every three steps the flickering stops.

flick,flick,flick,no flick,flick,flick,flick,no flick..etc...

Welcome to my nightmare :rolleyes:

Well well, what to do ?
Return it ? Decision, decision... my lcd has no dead pixels...

What week was yours manufactured? Maybe the newer ones in the 40's also fixed that problem. I wouldn't worry so much about getting one with dead pixels, I went through 3 altogether and only one of them had a dead pixel, the other 2 had none so it's not a real problem with the Sonys based on what other people have said also.

I have been tracking this thread and you guys are right - I intially had a week 38 unit from Circuit City that had backlight bleeding issues and I RMAed it through Sony and a week later, just got a week 46 unit that is perfect. They have improved the backlighting issues on this screen without question. I called Sony every day though to make sure it went out quickly. Don't settle for a leaky screen, the monitor deserves better. FYI I also compared it against the new Viewsonic VP912B and I actually like the Sony better, even though the Viewsonic is more adjustable.

I'll wait several weeks before calling Sony, i'll be almost sure that i'll receive a manufactured flat panel after week 40...

I have had mine for little over a week now and I did notice the leaking backlight but only on the startup screens of games.........but other places the "black" screen look fine.

The sticker on the back of my monitor says November 2004

Am I safe?

Also I am running the radeon 9800 pro and this monitor is plugged in the DVI. Can I not do over 60hz?

If it was in November it should be after week 40. Just hold down the menu button for a few seconds to determine the exact week it was manufactured. There is very slight blacklight bleeding on the top and bottom of mine which is a week 44 but nothing compared to what it was before on the older ones like the picture on the first page of this discussion. Yes, DVI can only do 60 hz unfortunately. I have to play my games with vsync off to get the best framerates but oh well, I can put up with a little tearing.

amazing......2004-45 im guessing week 45
cool deal..

i am just curious....i am running a radeon 9800 pro card and is there any way i can make this monitor do more than 60hz or is that not necessary.???
if more than 60hz someone please explain how

EDIT: Nevermind, i guess its something i'll have to live with.

Thanks

you notice tearing bytor? I tested the monitor with high action fps' and it was flawless.

The tearing I'm talking about is from the video card. Because I have vsync off for most games and pull framerates well over 100 it tears a bit since the refresh rate on my lcd through dvi is 60. I have a 6800 gt so I don't have the triple buffering option like ATI owners do that gets rid of a lot of the tearing. Running games with vsync on gets me too many noticeable slowdowns so I can live with the tearing, it doesn't really even bother me.

After playing around on my mom's HS93 over the weekend (which has no issues at ALL like this...leading me to believe this is a defect of early 94's), I'm going to RMA my monitor this weekend, too.

How long does the whole process take? Is shipping expensive? Should I call them first and if so - what kinds of questions do they ask? Should I demand a wekk 44+ or will they disregard that?

yeah, well, my bro's system has a 6800GT as well, and like I said vsync off, no tearing, sorry it happens for you.

If you guys have ANY problems with this monitor at all, even if its a single dead pixel, in my opinion its worth returning. I got one for Christmas and its as perfect as my eyes can tell. When the thing is good, it is REALLY good.

-zac

Well vsync must be on then or you aren't getting high enough framerates Dallows. If you get a framerate significantly higher than 60 fps when using dvi (60 hz is max refresh for dvi), the tearing WILL occur with vsync off whether you can see it personally or not. It doesn't seem to be as noticeable on lcd's though as it is on crts but it's a non issue with a crt. You can almost always run with vsync on because a nice crt will always have a refresh rate of at least 85, usually above 100 for lower resolutions. That said I still prefer the lcd as the tearing is barely noticeable with vsync off and ultimately gives you the highest frames per second possible.

Is the tearing horizontal? Because on my bro's hs94p I fired up battle for middle earth and watched the intro and I saw some what I guess would be tearing and it bothered me, but it wasn't during actual gameplay, so who knows, but I have the driver settings as application choose or something.

It's hard to describe, it's in the upper middle of the screen and stretches across horizontally. You probably won't see it in rts games, I've never seen it in warhammer 40k: dawn of war. I see it in doom 3 and half life 2 though.

I received my HS94P on Christmas Day and have it connected via DVI to my ASUS AX800 Pro.

The picture on this thing is absolutely amazing. :eek:

I've been playing WoW non-stop and the colors are so vibrant, so much more so then with my old 17" NEC MultiSync 1700M+.

I have noticed that when I'm looking at a black screen (intro movies, etc) there is some bleeding along the vertical edges of the monitor where the backlight is coming through but, to be totally honest, I could care less. How often do you stare at a black screen? It's not noticable at the desktop or in any game that I've played thus far. Also, I have no dead pixels. I was afraid the bezel would be too wide, in comparison to the Samsung 710T that I had actually asked for (thanks to my mom for the upgrade ;) ) but it's actually not that bad, I guess I'm just used to the large bezel on my old NEC.

RMA'd mine when I looked at one of the corners and could tell it got dropped in shipping or by the seller or by the manufacturer. So I have a brand new one coming sometime in the next month. I am sure it is going to be a new one straight from Sony since the seller I am dealing with deals direct with Sony and the seller is currently out of stock. So I will probably have very little backlight bleeding. I had one dead pixel also. Couldn't really see it but I am picky and the fact that it was dropped and had an indent on one of the corners was enough to send it back. I hope the next one I get has no dead pixels. Even though it had only one I still would like it to be flawless. IFYOUKNOWHATIMEAN?

RMA'd mine yesterday. The bleeding wasn't so much of a problem at first but it honestly got worse and worse as time went on. As of last week it started to get the whole "black X" look.

I dealt with Sony directly and even though they seemed to want to give me a refurbe'd one - since I got it less than 30 days ago, I will be getting a new one. Pretty nice policy though - they'll be shipping my new one today and it should arrive by next Friday, and that's only because of the holiday. You just ship your current monitor back in the new one's box with pre-paid shipping. Take note - if your having issues - make SURE you RMA the monitor before 30 days are up or you'll get a reconditioned monitor instead...which essentially guarantees it'll be pre-week 44.

I gave the people on the tech line a LOT of info about this issue and even referred them to this site for further information. I'll post updated info whenever I get my new monitor next week.

Picked up one of these (SDM-HS94P/S) as a belated Xmas present to myself. Amazing is all I can say. Its a 2004-46 one, no backlight leakage and 0 dead/stuck pixels as far as I can tell so far. Incredibly bright, but I'll get around to figuring out a sweetspot at some point I suppose.

Got 1 today, no dead pixels with some leakage at the top. Will prolly exchange it tommorow. Its a 2004 week 46, thought they fixed the leak problem by now :(

I had the same problems and returned the unit.
I got a hx93 and it's shit at gaming.

But today I saw HS95P on sonystyle.com
Has anyone had an encounter with that monitor?

Having tons of issues with Sony tech support. Seems my new monitor should've gone 10 days ago and nobody seems to know ANYTHING about it. Every person I get on the tech support line seems to be a little less tuned in, too. Their shipping people seem solid, but alas the tech support people seem lost. I got a random call from one of the tech people with a bogus UPS tracking number as well.
My advice to anyone - deal with the retailer if you can...this is a pain in the ass.

Hopefully I'll have something worthwhile to post in a few days.

Did anyone compare/consider the Viewsonic VP912B and this Sony HS94P? If so, what did you find?

I ask because I was leaning more towards the Viewsonic, but after reading through these forums, it looks like the new version of this Sony bleeds less than the Viewsonic.

I like that the Viewsonic can be adjusted vertically.

Comments?

Update...new monitor arrived...week 48. No longer a backlight issue AT ALL. Problem solved for me....

I bought a Sony HS94P from CircCity and there is one stuck bright blue pixel in the MIDDLE of the screen that drives me crazy!!!

What can I do about this? I don't think they accept exchanges on 1 bad pixel and they charge a 15% restocking fee on returns.

Arg!!

Mine is a week 46 screen with no backlighting problems at all.

Ironically, every single HS94P I've ever seen has at least one stuck/dead pixel. Even the store models all seem to, and both my original week 39 and new 48 both have one. There's no fix either...rubbing, tapping, swapping cables, nada.
I'm guessing it's just a slawed design as they almost all seem to have one, although they're almost always in different places.
My advice it to tell you to be glad you don't have backlight issues, although dead pixels SUCK. Not sure if CC will take it back, although BestBuy will if do it within 14 days if you buy the primo warranty.

no dead pixels on my bro's. I'm going to exchange it for a new one once they get them in at compusa.

talked to datavis.com on the phone. New SDM-HS94P/B being shipped out today. I am about to knock on wood that I have no dead pixels and that it is the most current batch shipped to the U.S.A. with no backlight bleeding. ::knocking on wood::

Okay, I have a 2004-33 LCD. I do notice a bit of uneven backlighting on the left and right sides of the LCD. (My biggest complaint is I have dust under the screen that is noticeable and tends to draw my eye, otherwise all pixels seem fine. I am curious as to what you folks are telling Sony to get them to send you a new monitor? Are they putting up no fight when you guys complain about backlighting and just sending a new/refurb out? I at 60 days out from purchase (11/19/2004) The folks that have gotten refurbs..how have they been? Pixels and so on? Thanks...

PS - This is my third one...The first two multiple dead pixels....

R :confused:

Back