SDD/HDD for Sandy Bridge Build

enc0re

Limp Gawd
Dear [H] forumers,

I need some help with choosing the OS/Game drive for my upcoming Sandy Bridge build. Here's my dilemma:

I've always liked speedy primary drives, as a consequence of which I have an unused Velociraptor (10K RPM WD drive) 60GB lying around. I'm trying to make up my mind if I should use it for my upcoming build (free) or spend the bucks on getting an SSD.

Do any of you have experience with both? I'd like to get an idea of how much of a real world usability difference it makes.

My rig gets used for the usual: MS Office, web stuff, and gaming.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I went from a 72GB Raptor to a 80GB Intel X-25M around last March. It is the single most dramatic improvement in system performance that I have ever seen from replacing one component, almost hard to put into words. So in summary, get one. :)

Use 60GB Raptor for games only, and since it seems you want to save money, a 40-64GB SSD for OS and regular programs is best.

Use 60GB Raptor for games only, and since it seems you want to save money, a 40-64GB SSD for OS and regular programs is best.

Intriguing. Hadn't considered that. I take it SSD doesn't make as large of a difference in games?

@OldSchool: Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear.

I would recommend putting all installed apps/games as well as their corresponding files on your SSD, IMO thats the whole point of buying one - responsiveness. I didn't buy an SSD so that my games can load slowly off of a separate drive. After switching to the SSD my BF2 load times went from 1min+ to ~15-20s.

At the moment I have... my OS (the incredibly bloated Windows 7 Ultimate x64, weighing in at around 14-15GB), all the apps I use (including the Adobe suite, 3DS Max, etc), about 5-6 games (like BF2, a couple steam games, Fallout 3, NFS Hot Pursuit, etc) on the drive; there is still ~20GB free.

I would recommend putting all installed apps/games as well as their corresponding files on your SSD, IMO thats the whole point of buying one - responsiveness. I didn't buy an SSD so that my games can load slowly off of a separate drive. After switching to the SSD my BF2 load times went from 1min+ to ~15-20s.

At the moment I have... my OS (the incredibly bloated Windows 7 Ultimate x64, weighing in at around 14-15GB), all the apps I use (including the Adobe suite, 3DS Max, etc), about 5-6 games (like BF2, a couple steam games, Fallout 3, NFS Hot Pursuit, etc) on the drive; there is still ~20GB free.

What size drive?

Back