• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SD card recommendations for DSLR?

hungryduck

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 29, 2005
Messages
1,530
I've been enjoying my nikon d40 for the past few weeks, however, I'm still using the old Sandisk 1GB I had sitting in my drawer. What do you guys recommend for an SD card.
I'm considering:

4GB Sandisk Ultra II
4GB Sandisk Extreme III
8GB Transcend (Priced at 40 bucks on amazon.....but seems like a sketchy brand)

Mainly I just want something reliable. I shoot mostly JPEG fine at 6.1mp on my D40. Speed isn't a huge issue for me, so I'm leaning towards the 4GB Sandisk Ultra II for its attractive price and performance.

Any ideas/suggestions?
 
Trandscend is far from sketchy. I've use their system memory and media flash , it's been stable and works with no problems.
 
I love the Extreem serries from Sandisc, very fast and storing images, but if you dont do a lot of rapid shooting you might not need it. They also come with free data recovery software if the card gets messed up. (at least they have for a few years)
 
I personally would use 2 2gig cards. Shooting Jpegs, you should get 400 or so pics on a 2gig.
I don't really like to have all of my eggs in one basket.
 
Trandscend is far from sketchy. I've use their system memory and media flash , it's been stable and works with no problems.

good to know

I think I'm going to grab two 4gb Sandisk Ultra II's....I'm going to be traveling for a month this summer in asia and won't have access to a computer or anything to upload shots...
 
just buy one of these. they cost $50 each, but when you buy one, you get $30 back. when you buy two, get $70 back, and when you buy three, you get $110 back. (note: the rebate is only redeemable at the original point of purchase)
so at the end, you could end up with 12GB for $40. ;)
 
Microcenter has a 4gb Extreme III + card reader for $50.
 
Back
Top