• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Scythe Shogun Outperforms XP-90C

Ratboy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 28, 2004
Messages
315
Anyone seen this? Saw a review at MadShrimps. Anyone know where I can get one?
 
U have a link to that review? I searched high and low on MadShrimps but couldn't find the review...
 
Looks like an almost 8 degree drop from the XP-90C under load using Papst 120 fan vs the XP's 92mm Panaflo.
 
Yeah, but a lot of good it does if I can't even buy the best heatsink reviewed! It's listed under the Scythe-USA distributor website, but I have yet to find it at any of the retailers listed there.
 
JMke said:
hey, thanks for the great roundup! Wish you were using 120mm panaflo's L1A and M1A's, but that's just a nitpick. Astounding detail in that review.
 
If you can't find the Shogun, go for the Ninja...it's just as good, and with 2 120's strapped on it's even better :cool:
 
hmmm....excellent. The rest of my setup gets here on the 1st and then I get to finally put my TT Sonic Tower to real good use. :)
 
Ratboy said:
hey, thanks for the great roundup! Wish you were using 120mm panaflo's L1A and M1A's, but that's just a nitpick. Astounding detail in that review.

Panaflo is to USA, what Papst is to Europe; so performance is comparable :)
 
too big for me. and i like that fact that i dont have to mess around with my bracket (xp-90 not c)
 
XP-90 succeeded in removing my CPU with the HSF 95% of the time I removed it; and in the process it bent the pins on the back of the CPU... 939 pins on the wall, 939 of pins, if one of the pins happens to fall, 938 pins on the wall.
 
JMke said:
XP-90 succeeded in removing my CPU with the HSF 95% of the time I removed it; and in the process it bent the pins on the back of the CPU... 939 pins on the wall, 939 of pins, if one of the pins happens to fall, 938 pins on the wall.

wouldn't that be an issue with the thermal compound you're using? i dont understand how an aluminum heatsink would rip your cpu out of a secured ZIF socket without the aid of an adhesive, suction, or electromagnetic forces.
 
JMke said:
XP-90 succeeded in removing my CPU with the HSF 95% of the time I removed it; and in the process it bent the pins on the back of the CPU... 939 pins on the wall, 939 of pins, if one of the pins happens to fall, 938 pins on the wall.

If you use arctic silver 5, and use the recommended amount, and slightly twist left and right a tiny bit before you pull, you won't have issues. I'd know because I use an XP90, haha.
 
robberbaron said:
If you use arctic silver 5, and use the recommended amount, and slightly twist left and right a tiny bit before you pull, you won't have issues. I'd know because I use an XP90, haha.

Treat it like an Oreo. That is what I do. Slight twists from side-to-side while slightly pulling upward. :D
 
Tiny said:
Treat it like an Oreo. That is what I do. Slight twists from side-to-side while slightly pulling upward. :D
So... what's an Oreo? :D
 
there is no way to "twist and turn" it because you have to remove the 4 retainers first, which makes the HSF pop out.

don't know how many times you've installed an A64 heatsink, but I'm nearing the 1000 mark :)
 
JMke said:
there is no way to "twist and turn" it because you have to remove the 4 retainers first, which makes the HSF pop out.

don't know how many times you've installed an A64 heatsink, but I'm nearing the 1000 mark :)

When I take my girlfriends A64 cooler off it doesn't do any popping. She has the Sonic Tower from Thermaltake, like I will have on mine, and it doesn't do any popping. She had the retail HSF on before...no popping there either.
:confused:

Besides...even a half a mm is enough to "wiggle" it.
 
Well, I don't know what your method is, but I've found that as long as the heatsink is still warm, the AS5 won't "glue up" and pull your CPU. After almost 1000 CPU installs and heatsink changes, I can't believe you wouldn't have stumbled on to that...
Oh, and if you come straight up, even if the CPU is still attached it won't bend pins
:rolleyes:
 
Anyone have this and can compare to the xp 90? May get one after reading the reviews, but nothing beats hands-on experience from those on the boards imho... :p
 
SpoogeMonkey said:
If you can't find the Shogun, go for the Ninja...it's just as good, and with 2 120's strapped on it's even better :cool:

From a review that I've read on SilentPCReview, the design is such that you can't have the side with the blades facing towards the heatsink fans....They'll contact it.

Doesn't mean that you couldn't put some sort of spacers in between to clear it, but then the clips might not be as sturdily mounted. Besides, if you've got exhaust fans either behind or above the heatsink, (power supply or rear exhaust) those will perform just as well, I'd imagine.

It seems that the Ninja will perform as well as the Shogun with lower CFM fans...
 
What I did was use a 120-80 fan adapter, (which is on the exhaust side of the fan,blowing out back of the case) and then tie everything together with some 12ga romex I had laying around. This keeps about a half inch gap between the hs and the "suck" side of the fan. (Also removed stock,crappy, 2cfm silent 80mm case exhauts fans)

I can't remember all the numbers, but @ 2.67ghz w/stock fan , 1.48vcore ,
I had load temp of 52C. With Ninja & 1 Tt thunderblade, temps dropped to 45C. Addition of 2nd fan dropped temps to 40C. All this and still ~20db quieter than stock hsf.
Currently @ 2.78ghz, 1.52 vcore, 100% load 24/7, max temp I see is 44C
 
Tiny said:
She has the Sonic Tower from Thermaltake, .

I was referring to the XP-90, the XP-120 has the same problem, a bit less frequent.
 
JMke said:
I was referring to the XP-90, the XP-120 has the same problem, a bit less frequent.

How does the SI-97 compare? Cause I have that on mine and no CPU pullout.
 
Back
Top