• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Scythe SDAR-2100 amplifier

Never heard of T-amps... Will have to look them up just to see what some of the competition looks like.
 
Never heard of T-amps... Will have to look them up just to see what some of the competition looks like.

T-amps are digital amps. They are very clean and clear sounding. This might be a good deal or complete crap. No reviews yet.
 
Heh... I had forgotten how inexpensive those more powerful Dayton amps were... but I guess that actually is a sale. Nice deal. - One noted issue with that older DTA-100 model is the poor quality volume pot. It may need to be replaced to fix the frequently reported L/R channel level disparities. Still a steal considering all we're getting... case, amp board, psu...

yea - I might go for something like that or figure out whether or not I want to build my own from a tripath kit off ebay (one of the least expensive ways to get a decently powerful, compact 4-channel amp - 'Sure" makes some good kits. Edit: forget ebay, Sure-electronics sells kits + PSU's directly for less (dunno about shipping, however), PartsExpress sells their lineup as well, but the prices are higher).

Still, I think I'd rather save my time...considering the cheapo application. I basically just want "sound" in half a room...no music...just voice... I think even the following amp would work for me:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-300 - This, and the similar amps on ebay using something like the TA2020 chipset, is what I initially compared against the Scythe in my mind. The usable power output would be similar.

Edit: darn... those Lepai amps were once $20 or so. I'd take it for $25 shipped, but more than that is pushing it. The build quality isn't so good (compared to Dayton), and there is a noticeable turn-on pop. Perhaps I'll spend a little more then... maybe ditch TA2020 for TK2050.
 
Last edited:
id take a t-amp over that reciever any day of the week.the quality of the sound just isnt comparable.the sound of t-amps have been compared to amps costing 1000's of dollars.a t_amp like this at 25wpc the 100w reciever would only play about 6 decibels louder.which isnt that significant of a difference.

as every 3db is doubling the volume - 6db is 4 times louder ...
I don't diss T-amps , but this specific sherwood receiver has real amps

or in any case I'd take other amps I listed over that Scythe toy
 
no its not doubling the power raises sound 3db doubling loudness is 10db increase.

just to if you think that cheap reciever has "real amps" in it your not very experienced in the audio field.

Capture-1-9.jpg
 
Last edited:
no its not doubling the power raises sound 3db doubling loudness is 10db increase.

I stand corrected regarding 6db:

3 dB = twice the power (Power respectively intensity - mostly calculated)
6 dB = twice the amplitude (Voltage respectively sound pressure -
mostly measured)
10 dB = twice the perceived volume (Loudness nearly sensed psychoacoustics)

just to if you think that cheap reciever has "real amps" in it your not very experienced in the audio field.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/member.php?u=28046

From sherwood receiver specs:
Power output: 2 x 100 watts (20-20,000 Hz, 0.08% THD @ 8 ohms)
 
Last edited:
ive had a recent offereing from sherwood,and its sound isnt all that.specs alone dont tell about quality.low distortion doesnt equate good soundstage and imaging.i will agree the scythe unit is probably garbage.

oh and whatever the audioholics thing is i cant see without a sign in.and if ur a long term user of a forum doesnt mean anything either.im in my 40's and ive owned a oscilloscope a multimeter,and a soldering iron since i was 9.
 
ive had a recent offereing from sherwood,and its sound isnt all that
I didn't said that the sherwood is the best thing since sliced bread, but at $80 it's very good value, better than similarly priced t-amps from dayton.

im in my 40's and ive owned a oscilloscope a multimeter,and a soldering iron since i was 9.

Good for you :rolleyes:
 
really awesome! the dta-1 which is just a clone of the original tripath amp.its sound quality has been compared to amps costing 1000's of dollars.has that sherwood ?i can answer that no.ya know why because its sound quality isnt all that.my comment was showing i have more experience than just listening to the equipment.i know build quality when i see it and sherwood has had bad build quality.since about the mid 80's.now if you were recommending a sherwood from the 70's vintage,or early 80's id say awesome.yeah 80$ isnt to bad a price but either way better sound quality can be had for roughly the same or less.
 
These are for headphones only. This is why I like the Scythe... I can put it inside my case and doesn't have to be overly poweful as it's for headphones only.

Headphone amps are generally compact anyway. I suppose you may as well get a good one.

I was comparing just the regular amplifier section to something like the TA2020-based Lepai amp (which is a cheap implementation of TA2020). Those two would probably be comparable.

I'd think you could get a much higher quality dedicated headphone amp, however. The ones included in our modern high-end sound cards (Xonar lineup comes to mind) would probably be significantly better than this Scythe.
 
These are for headphones only. This is why I like the Scythe... I can put it inside my case and doesn't have to be overly poweful as it's for headphones only.


just to point out those are not just for headphones only.in fact the dta-1 is for speakers only.
 
Back
Top