• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

scythe ninja or big typhoon?

which heatsink performs better with a 100cfm fan?

  • scythe ninja

    Votes: 28 73.7%
  • big typhoon

    Votes: 12 31.6%

  • Total voters
    38
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
594
im down onto 2 heatsinks and im curious...

if both of these heatsink paired with a 100 cfm fan... which will perform better? (dont care about noise)
 
Definately the Sythe Ninja ... excellent performance, great build quality and it can even run passively in a well ventilated case provided the cpu ain't a toaster oven. Add a nexus/yate loon fan and you got yourself an really quiet yet powerful cooler. I would stay away from TT products as many other folks would tell you. You are better off getting an XP-120 if you are leaning towards the typhoon.
 
Scythe Ninja pWNS J00!!

in other words, the Scythe Ninja delivers performance unmatched by the competition :D
 
pawstar said:
I would stay away from TT products as many other folks would tell you. You are better off getting an XP-120 if you are leaning towards the typhoon.


You are full of shit too.....maybe some TT products suck (some do) but the Typhoon ain't one of them....read it and weep..VERY close performance between the top coolers...which includes the Typhoon....and at comaprable cooling and noise levels, it even matches (or beats) the Ninja....


Opinions are like assholes....we all have one....some have two, one at each end. :p
 
TheRapture said:
You are full of shit too.....maybe some TT products suck (some do) but the Typhoon ain't one of them....read it and weep..VERY close performance between the top coolers...which includes the Typhoon....and at comaprable cooling and noise levels, it even matches (or beats) the Ninja....


Opinions are like assholes....we all have one....some have two, one at each end. :p


Your rank doesn't give YOU the right to be asshole, Thermaltakes are generally ripped off and cheesy products, just because they make one godly product doesn't make them a high status.
 
Mysticcal said:
Your rank doesn't give YOU the right to be asshole, Thermaltakes are generally ripped off and cheesy products, just because they make one godly product doesn't make them a high status.


what are you talking about? The thread isn't about thermaltake. Leave an opinion on the OP's question or get the fuck out.

OP, i would go with whatever you can get for cheaper. They are both very good performers.
 
Mysticcal said:
Your rank doesn't give YOU the right to be asshole, Thermaltakes are generally ripped off and cheesy products, just because they make one godly product doesn't make them a high status.



My "rank" has nothing to do with it. I would have said it had I been a newb....

Just because some of the other TT coolers are no better than stock, does not mean the Big Typhoon is not a GREAT cooler. To rule it out as an option is...dumb....that would be the same as ruling out having sex with ALL women because you had a bad experience with ONE.... :p
 
my vote goes for the Scythe Ninja, just because you can exhaust the hot air easier then with the TT bigtyphoon. it mainly depends on your case setup. and the Scythe Ninja is only 40 bucks on the egg now.
 
TheRapture said:
My "rank" has nothing to do with it. I would have said it had I been a newb....

Just because some of the other TT coolers are no better than stock, does not mean the Big Typhoon is not a GREAT cooler. To rule it out as an option is...dumb....that would be the same as ruling out having sex with ALL women because you had a bad experience with ONE.... :p
no all women would be an equal to ALL heatsin, but the proper analogy would be thats like ruleing out all asian girls(or w/e race)just because you had a bad experience with one
 
All you guys are a blast to read from time to time.................. :D
Thermaltake has been around computer cooling longer than just about any other company that is still in business today. They have made many award winning products to date and I'm sure that they will continue to do so. Before you start running off about who copied who on what design, you might want to look up who holds what patent on what................ ;) You might just learn something about the business.

End of Rant................... :eek:
 
CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
my vote goes for the Scythe Ninja, just because you can exhaust the hot air easier then with the TT bigtyphoon. it mainly depends on your case setup. and the Scythe Ninja is only 40 bucks on the egg now.


It DOES depend on case type alot...my case works great with either type since I have 120mn fans on both the power supply and case back...don't forget the Ninja is $40 buck w/o a fan, add a good fan (10$ or more) and now it is the same price as the Typhoon that coems with a decent fan....
;)
 
I had great success with the Ninja before I wc'd my rig. My 3000+ oc'd to ~2,8ghz 1.55vcore was running ~40c at load.
 
I used to have a XP-120 with a CM UV 120mm at 1200rpm, pushes 44CFM.

I just switched to a Ninja using the same fan, but at only 900rpm. Temps are already 8-9°C better than I had with the XP-120. And as for motherboard temps, those are lower by a couple degrees too. The Ninja just makes so much sense in that it performs great with a low airflow fan, and it works together with your case fans rather than against it like most downward blowing HSFs.
 
pigpen said:
what are you talking about? The thread isn't about thermaltake. Leave an opinion on the OP's question or get the fuck out.

OP, i would go with whatever you can get for cheaper. They are both very good performers.

what the hell are you talking about he did leave an opinion and then someone called him a bag of shit and he responded and left another opinion about thermaltake.

I personally have a ninja build quality is grreat. My only beef is with the base it still has extremely fine machining grooves. Go get a ninja for 45 bucks or wait for it to go on sale. I got mine for 38 bucks on sale.

Go read the list of reviews for the ninja
one review that has both in the same test
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/5-cool_24.html
fat list
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=37&threadid=1723066&enterthread=y
 
TheRapture said:
It DOES depend on case type alot...my case works great with either type since I have 120mn fans on both the power supply and case back...don't forget the Ninja is $40 buck w/o a fan, add a good fan (10$ or more) and now it is the same price as the Typhoon that coems with a decent fan....
;)


Bingo! This statement captures the issue between deciding on these two coolers. With a side intake fan positioned near the CPU, a Big Typhoon would probably be a better choice. With good front intake fans and good airflow from front to back (like the P180) the Ninja has the advantage. These coolers are designed to work differently. A more relevant TT product against the Ninja would be the Sonic Tower. It works on the same thermal principles as the Ninja in that air needs to flow across the fins, and it also can also be used passively.

Personally, I like the simplicity of the Ninja, but the clip mounting that it comes with requires putting some serious pressure on one side of the heat spreader on the CPU and damage it and the mobo if you aren't careful. Mounting the Big Typhoon is a PITA as well, as it is just so friggin huge.
 
c1001 said:
Personally, I like the simplicity of the Ninja, but the clip mounting that it comes with requires putting some serious pressure on one side of the heat spreader on the CPU and damage it and the mobo if you aren't careful. Mounting the Big Typhoon is a PITA as well, as it is just so friggin huge.

Not quite sure what you're referring to, but I agree; the wire clips are simple in design, but are tricky to get hooked on to the fan/fins.
 
SpoogeMonkey said:
Not quite sure what you're referring to, but I agree; the wire clips are simple in design, but are tricky to get hooked on to the fan/fins.

I'll ty to explain what I mean: You have to hook the two clips on one side of the mounting bracket first. This means the edge of the copper cooler base is pressed against the CPU heat spreader. You then have to apply pressure down on the top of the Ninja in order clip on the two clips on the other side. This pressure causes copper base on the Ninja to rotate and, in effect, slip from its edge to its base. This slippage will most likely scratch and mar the soft copper base of the Ninja and possibly the CPU heat spreader as well, with a resulting negative impact on temps. If the clips don't all catch on your first attempt, you have to repeat the process and mar the surface some more. As this downward pressure is tranferred to the CPU heat spreader, all the downward force is applied along a narrow line on the CPU, and not spread out along the entire surface as it would be on the Big Typhoon. Too much of this edge pressure could crack the mobo if the surface below the mobo doesn't provide the right support.
 
I would go for the Ninja. But I'm not sure that either one is a bad choice here.
 
TheRapture said:
You are full of **** too.....maybe some TT products suck (some do) but the Typhoon ain't one of them....read it and weep..VERY close performance between the top coolers...which includes the Typhoon....and at comaprable cooling and noise levels, it even matches (or beats) the Ninja....


Opinions are like ********....we all have one....some have two, one at each end. :p

Man ... its like I struck a nerve or something. First you could watch your language. Secondly this is a forum, a place to place to give opinions, and if you read my post carefully enough, you will notice that I never berated the typhoon as a poorly performing cooler. Secondly, you even state that their performance is neck'n'neck so why not support a more preferred company? Thirdly it is generally acknowledged that the TT dba levels are somewhat deflated meaning that you don't get as quiet performance as it appears at face value.

The original poster wants an opinion between the two coolers, so I have him that - the Ninja. Secondly, I added an extra comment that if he doesn't want the Ninja he should first look into the XP-120 rather than going with TT. I see no reason to get all furious at that.
 
Back
Top