Scythe need lapping? Image included.

computergeek22

Limp Gawd

I just got a new Scythe Ninja heatsink and I was wondering if it was worth getting one of those $25 lapping kits w/ as5. There seems to be a scratch in the middle starting from the right(arrow) and one on the top left(not visible).

just go to the auto parts store and get some 600, 1000 and 1500 grit sandpaper and lap it. There is no need for a Kit.

KaptainBlaZzed said:
just go to the auto parts store and get some 600, 1000 and 1500 grit sandpaper and lap it. There is no need for a Kit.

The local auto parts store or paint store should have these for ~$0.75 a sheet. And if there's a glass shop close by, ask for a small (3"-5") square of plate glass or mirror......they'll usually give you a scrap for free.

Those lapping kits are so overpriced, lol, I wonder how much money they have made off of them by now...

i have the same problem, mine needs lapped also. prob. gonna wait awhile cuz i allready installed it and it is hard as hell to put on in the first place. also the scythe ninja is an excellent cooler, i run at 34c at the highest...so far

Wow! The scythe is really cool that's good news. What processor/case/heatsink fan do u have? Okay, thanks for the help guys and is there a guide on how to lap a heatsink properly somewhere or is it just getting some sand paper and rubbing the bottom? Forgive me for my n00bity (if that's a word)!

i have a amd 64 3000+ w/ the scythe and a panaflo 120mm (best bang for the buck, ps dont buy it retail) and just a reg. atx aluminum case w/ the side off. be prepared for some serious modding depending on ur board to get the scythe to cooperate ;)

Back