Scythe Mugen 2 or OCZ Vendetta 2?

Camberwell

Gawd
After the prices drop later this month I will be buying a Q9550, and I'm considering one of these two coolers for OC'ing. Looking for the best balance of cooling and noise, from the reviews that I have read they seem fairly evenly matched. Anyone got any experience with either of these two?

Also, I've read a lot that both of these coolers will block one or more of the RAM slots on my mobo (P5K-VM), anyone had this issue? My Corsair XMS2 sticks don't have big heat spreaders, so I'm hoping it won't be an issue...

If you're near a microcenter you can pick up a xigmatek for $19.99 AR. Very similar to the vendetta 2.

I'm using a vendetta 2 right now but I'm honestly not very fond of it. I bought the back plate + screws from sidewinder but it doesn't work properly because the sides aren't flat - the fins stick out where the screws would go so you have no way to safely tighten them. If you're okay with push pins get it or spend a little bit more and get a Megalem from jab-tech for $59.95:)

If you're near a microcenter you can pick up a xigmatek for $19.99 AR. Very similar to the vendetta 2.

I'm using a vendetta 2 right now but I'm honestly not very fond of it. I bought the back plate + screws from sidewinder but it doesn't work properly because the sides aren't flat - the fins stick out where the screws would go so you have no way to safely tighten them. If you're okay with push pins get it or spend a little bit more and get a Megalem from jab-tech for $59.95:)

I was going to use the Thermalright bolt thru kit (pretty much the same thing, I guess), so I'll try to find a kit that uses shorter screws. Maybe this one:

http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/pc-accessory/cpu-cooler-stabilizer-775.html

Doesn't even need a screwdiver, could be a good option....

Last edited:
The Mugen 2 comes with a bolt through backplate that works with any socket.

That's true, how is yours performing, temps and noise wise?

Right now I have my i7 (see sig) stable at 4.195ghz with a vcore of 1.28 and it is between 38C and 40C idle and 66C to 69C at full load with prime95, ambient temp is 24C. I added a second 120 fan to the front of the cooler to pull air also and this fan is loud. I need a different fan, however the scythe fan that comes with the cooler is silent.

The Mugen 2 is pretty much the best air cooler available and at the price with a fan its just too good of a deal.
I am very happy with mine OCing my Phenom 720 (with 4th core enabled) to 3.7Ghz and 1.44Vcore.
The mirror finish is sweet too.
I added a second Scythe fan but in reality I didnt need it...I just wanted it because...well because thats what we do with our gear! :)

I own vendetta 2. CPU stays idle 4.05GHz @32C ( ambient temp. 25c ) and never went up to 54c at full load.

The Mugen 2 is pretty much the best air cooler available and at the price with a fan its just too good of a deal.
I am very happy with mine OCing my Phenom 720 (with 4th core enabled) to 3.7Ghz and 1.44Vcore.
The mirror finish is sweet too.
I added a second Scythe fan but in reality I didnt need it...I just wanted it because...well because thats what we do with our gear! :)

It's good, but I wouldn't go that far. Where it really excels is in silent computing since it performs well without a fan.

The problem I had with it was it was extremely bulky length-wise as opposed to height, so it blocked some of my RAM slots, and it's really, really easy to cut yourself on those razor-fine fins.

Oh I am saying that because it has been tested by several websites and its always at the top or very near it. I am not one to say things just because I bought it...I bought it because I did my research first. :)
Of course size and clearance is also a factor so there is not perfect one size fits all heatsink.

Anyone else had any experience with these two coolers? About to place the order and just want to get some more feedback...thanks!

I saw a review linked on XS where the Mugen 2 was at, or better than the TRUE on an i7. This may not hold true in all cases, but its still a damn good, and cheap heatsink. Just ordered one for my second build. Also, Scythe is known for having excellently polished contact surfaces, so you won't need to sand anything down.

Also, Scythe is known for having excellently polished contact surfaces, so you won't need to sand anything down.

Would the OCZ's HDT work better, or is it just a different design with similar results? I have to say that I'm leaning towards the Mugen mainly because it comes with a backplate and decent TIM (Thermal Elixer), which the Vendetta 2 does not...

So is the included SilMORE thermal compound for the Mugen 2 decent? I don't want to pony up the price for arctic silver if I am only going to use it once.

I am using the stock compound. My cooler is working well, but I have no comparison with another compound. The Mugen 2 is too much work to take off and test other compounds.

The vendetta is a very good cooler, just check hardwarecanucks in their tests its always on the top

Wait guys I just ordered a mugen 2. The fan is louder than the xigmatek 1283? I could swear the reviews put the db's in the same level..

The fan is silent under normal use. You can only here it when it runs at 100% and even then the gpu fan is louder.

Back