demografik
[H]ard|Gawd
- Joined
- Mar 25, 2002
- Messages
- 1,055
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835185123
Does anyone have one of these? They seem pretty nice, and look sexy imo. A little small compared to all the 120mm stuff these days, but I would think a little faster 92mm would offset that. It also seems like it would be MORE effective, due to it's angled design. Based on how heatpipes work, I don't understand how a completely horizontal heatpipe would be effective at all. But if you take the Katana, and mount it so that the fan blows towards the power supply (up), the heatpipes will be angled like \ | where the | is the motherboard, which seems to me like it would be perfect for how heatpipes work. Another advantage is that, on a DFI board, the air would blow straight onto the RAM, then get sucked out by the power supply (assuming you have the type with a fan on the bottom.)
This seems like alot of positive points, so why isn't this heatsink more popular?
I've read a couple of reviews that didn't seem to like the Katana much. Then again, I didn't find one that tried it with a different fan, and the fan it comes with is only 2000rpm. Would a stronger fan make this heatsink a competitor? Or does the difference between 92mm and 120mm make that big of a difference? Am I overlooking something?
Does anyone have one of these? They seem pretty nice, and look sexy imo. A little small compared to all the 120mm stuff these days, but I would think a little faster 92mm would offset that. It also seems like it would be MORE effective, due to it's angled design. Based on how heatpipes work, I don't understand how a completely horizontal heatpipe would be effective at all. But if you take the Katana, and mount it so that the fan blows towards the power supply (up), the heatpipes will be angled like \ | where the | is the motherboard, which seems to me like it would be perfect for how heatpipes work. Another advantage is that, on a DFI board, the air would blow straight onto the RAM, then get sucked out by the power supply (assuming you have the type with a fan on the bottom.)
This seems like alot of positive points, so why isn't this heatsink more popular?
I've read a couple of reviews that didn't seem to like the Katana much. Then again, I didn't find one that tried it with a different fan, and the fan it comes with is only 2000rpm. Would a stronger fan make this heatsink a competitor? Or does the difference between 92mm and 120mm make that big of a difference? Am I overlooking something?