Scythe infinity is a pain to get on!!!!

i just got a neww system and it took me over a hour to forcefully push this infinity on a 680i LGA775 mother board..............the pop in method is B.S because it says on the directions not to forcefully push it in.....but you have no other choice...........its complete @##@$##@

my mother board is completely bent but hopefuly it isnt busted lol............

it isnt!! because its not bent to the point of cracking but thank god mobos are flexible!!!

i just hope all that work pays off with great temps!

good to hear! My scythe infinity is sitting in the box on the table waiting for my gigabyte ds3 motherboard to come in... im not looking foward to wrestling with this thing.. lol

I hope mine is a little easier to get on

I have a Scythe Ninja Plus...and I can say I had similar results.

The first time I put it on, I was getting temps of 65 /w 1% cpu usage (at stock frequencies / voltage on my e6300, about 10 C worse than the stock cooler). That obviously wasn't going to fly, so I took it off, removed AS5, reapplied, and tried it again. This time, while mounting the fan clips, half of the HSF actually slipped out of the motherboard. Not good. I could tell something was seriously wrong.

I thought at first that my motherboard's holes were getting worn out from the constant penetration (shudder), but eventually I wound up, and pushed it in till I heard a firm snap. That seemed to do the trick, now I got it running at 50 C idle, and about 63 after 3-4 hours at load. Perhaps it's time to do something about my mess of cords. For all those wondering whether the Scythe Ninja Plus will fit on their motherboard, I have a Gigabyte ds3, and a *really* small case.

I will, however, pose a question as this seems a good time to do so:

Is running my CPU at 65C under load going to cause it to slowly die? Right now I have it overclocked at 2800 (7x400) running at 1.35 volts. My memory is running at 2.0 volts (+2), any less, and prime95 gets errors, and occasionally windows will bluescreen on startup. With these temps, and settings, however, my PC seems rock solid thus far, but if this kind of heat is damaging, I will lower my settings a bit.

Any advice is welcome.

Ninja Plus + AS5 + e6300 @ 2.8 should not ever give you 50C idle temps.

I have a 6400 @ 3.2 with Infinity and AS5 and my idles are 35C and my case is the cheapest of the cheapest with really bad airflow. And the Infinity is not THAT much better than the Ninja.

You have a different problem going on there. Heck, my o/c CPU never even reaches 55C under heavy load.

Oh and just for the record: I think these plastic prongs should just go away for good. They're no good holding heavy heatsinks over time and i simply can't understand that a company like Scythe uses these to hold their massive heatsinks. For that reason alone i'm thinking about getting a different cooler.

well I cant even remove mine !! any tips on removing from the evga 680i ??

I didn't even attempt this yet, but it should be that you move the prongs on the upper side to the "open" opsition and then squeeze them on the lower side to release them through the holes.

ha! easier said than done lol

Im gonna try again tonight hte prob is turning the pins there is not much finger room on this board !!

ive taken it twice so its no biggie

the 8 pin power cord is a pain with this heatsink too on this board so its a little tricky but doable

hope ill get er off tonight otherwise ill contact scythe or something

i removed it a couple times because i had to try different variations of ways to get the god damn plastic things in the evga 680i ..........its complete crap how hard you have to push almost break the freaking mb................

but you have to get plyers and grap the black part of the pins.... and then turn in either counter clockwise ore clock wise i think........then all you have to do is pull up on the pin and it will come up way easier then it went down!!

but i am thinkin of just buying the tuniq tower and using that if this dumb ass scythe doesnt start being more coapretive............ i think all lga775 sockets have those dumb clips though./.........i hate it ..... even the stock heat sink that came with the 6600 had clips...... i had to switch one of there clips with one of the ones on the scythe because it wasnt going in.......... i dont understand why they dont go back to bolts and screw.........

stupid intelll fix this problem!!!!

they are reasponsible if i crack my mobo

same freaking problem i love the heatsink but my god. This realy has me thinkign abou tgoing ot a water cooled solution. If i wasnt so lazy i would lol. But i have the antec sonota wiht horrible airflow and my 6600 idles 2.4 GHZ @ 37 C and when i overclock it to 3.2 it is 56C full load does this sound about right for temps?? at that overclock? seems like a huge jump to me.

Sounds about right with the Sonata. If you want to help your proc to breath a little better, do the following:

1. Open up the lower front of your case. Simple cut out the plastic front and replace it with some kind of mesh.

2. Remove as many drive holders as you can and only keep the necessary ones in. Then place the drives either in the most upper or most lower slot (i'm talking harddrives here).

3. If you want/can, dremel a hole in your side panel and mount a 120mm intake fan there. Put it very low, so it doesn't disturb the infinity, which is a close fit anyways.

If you did all this (actually number one alone is worth it), you'll improve airflow significantly in the Sonata. The case is great but they really messed up the airflow since it can't breath in the front.

i have question.........

witht the infinity ... besideds the effert it takes from your thumb when trying to push it in........

whhere can i put the fan on it..... i have a full tower case with the evga 680i and it has barely any room to put the fan on... i can put the fan on the left because it would interfear with the exhaust on the back of the case.... it would be directly on it... cant pu it on the right because the ram is there blocking me from puting in there and i dont want to put it on the bottom because it would be blowing the hot air on my video card .........the ony optinon is puting it on the top but it would be blowing on my power supply... the good thing is i have the cool master 830 stakcer and it has a lot of vent...... one on top too so i will put a fan on top but that still doesnt stop the air from hitting the psu.........i really think the tuniq will be better because the fan is inside the thing........i had to mount the sythe so you can read the sythe regularyly because the north bridge of the 680i was blocking it

wat do you all think?

The fan on the infinity goes onto the side of the heatsink, toward the front of the case, blowing towards the rear through the heatsink to the outside........it's the only way it makes sense as well.

then we have a problem... it says 4 way choice of where you want to put the fan.......but like
i think i might just buy the tuniq tower because the fan is inside of it

it would be way easier//////////but ill hold off on it for now and get it later.......

Well, in theory you can mount the fan on either of the 4 sides, but sheer logic tells me that you want the hot air to blow out of the case and not back in....

i already told you the right side of it is being blocked by the ram!!!

it sucks because the freakin 680i doeant allow me to turn eh heat sink different ways because of the north bridge........its to high!!!!!

Your board BENT a little not because of the Infinity but because the 680i board is very cheap and it bends easily anyway, the infinity just helped it a little more.

well I finally got it off, what a freaking nightmare, tried intel stock cooler and still like 50 - 55 C IDLE temps even in bios (and yes it was installed correctly)

anyone think this is a cpu rma or a motherboard one ?

I don't know man....seems more like your processor is not competely flat. It happens all the time. People then lap the processor with sandpaper down to the copper (basically sanding the tin off evenly) and get normal temps.

Don't know if you should RMA only because the temps are off.

Back