SCSI vs. ATA - Different Story

hjreggel

Weaksauce
Hi,

I'll try to keep this story as short as possible. I'll provide more detail on request.

For several reasons, my PC for Internet (this box I'm typing on right now) is a 10 year old Dual Pentium PRO overclocked to 233MHz with Matrox Millennium 8MB 1600x1200@24bit. About one boot per day. I currently don't have the time to select and install anew PC. My daytime job currently takes too much time for that.

I just recovered the primary harddisk (DCAS34330) from the second severe disk failure. The first time it was OK to run a Disk Verify from the SCSI controller and to reassign the bad sectors.

The second failure was more severe, because the remapping still left some corrupt files, the booting stopped during the "blue" phase. So I searched for my SCSI cables and adapters, plugged the U2W CardBus into my notebook an ran a scandisk on the partitions. Then mounted the copy of the partitions over network and ran a WinDiff. This showed three missing DLL files, I copied them and now the box runs. Hopefully as long as I get a few days off to fix this Internet PC issue permanently.

Now the question: Do you think it would be possible to recover a 10 year old one boot per day ATA disk?

By thy way: The secondary disk (DCAS34330W) is also 10 years old, the third (DDRS39130) is 9 1/2 years old, makes an awful sound but these two passed the disk verify without a single bad secotor!

Hans-Jürgen

well normally a HD that OLD is destined to only one thing... FAILURE
if that pr0n...er ... "data" is really important u should go to the PROs like www.drivesavers.com

tschüßi

Hi,

The point is: The disk is still running after remapping the defective sectors. And I did not lose any data because I have backup. I just want to keep the box running until I have time to set up a new one.

Hans-Jürgen

could u rephrase your question? write it in Deutsch

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions, I know that these disks are old. I already have a replacement disk and I have backup of all the data. The problem is the time to set up the new installation. I can't simply move, because I would have to merge numerous partitions from three disks to one disk. But I just found my "drivers and installs" MO-Disk, so my plan is to reinstall.

The intention of my original post was to show that SCSI harddisk are very robust and that there are "built-in" tools for checking for and remapping of defective sectors. After remapping the defective sectors, the disk passed the "Disk Verify".

Hans-Jürgen

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions, I know that these disks are old. I already have a replacement disk and I have backup of all the data. The problem is the time to set up the new installation. I can't simply move, because I would have to merge numerous partitions from three disks to one disk. But I just found my "drivers and installs" MO-Disk, so my plan is to reinstall.

The intention of my original post was to show that SCSI harddisk are very robust and that there are "built-in" tools for checking for and remapping of defective sectors. After remapping the defective sectors, the disk passed the "Disk Verify".

Hans-Jürgen

Modern disk automatically remap sectors on the fly both IDE and SCSI based ones.

Back