SCSI trouble

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by mzungu, Sep 10, 2008.

1. mzungu

mzungu n00b

I have no experience with SCSI drives, other then what i have learned in the last couple of days on Google, so ive come here as my last resort, here is my issue

The SCSI Controller and Hard Drive show up in the device manager, but the HD will not show up in Disk Management there is only 1 SCSI drive and its jumpers are set for the 0 slot or whatever its called, also i have the latest driver update for the controller

its running on a win2k (new install), Adaptec card 29320LP Ultra 320 SCSI, Seagate SCSI drive

only reason i need to do this is recover data off the drive, i just need a second opinion before i declare the battle over, thanks for anyhelp

2. sabregen

sabregen [H]ard as it Gets

the adaptec card should have a controller BIOS that asks for a key combination to be pressed to access it. I believe with Adaptec that it is CTRL + A, but check the POST messages for confirmation. Once inside the controller's BIOS, go to SCSI Disk Utilities, and scan the SCIS Bus. If the drive has the jumpers set to 0, it should show up as ID 0 on the bus scan. If it doesn't then power off the system, check your cables, terminator (you'll need one), and ID jumpers are making good physical contact, and retry the system boot. If it still doesn't see the drive, you could check whether the drive is spinning or not by removing it from its physical mounts and holding it in your hand while powered on, tilting it from side to side. If you feel it pull, the disk is spinning (it'll feel like a gyroscope). If not, then the drive's motor has given up. Your options for a non-spinning disk are pretty much either a data recovery house, or the junk pile. If the disks spins, but the controller BIOS doesn't see it, then the drive's controller may be dead. You might be able to purchase an identical already dead drive on eBay and swao the controllers and get it to boot. Otherwise, your options will be as limited with a dead controller as they are with a dead motor: recovery house or junk pile.

3. mzungu

mzungu n00b

thanks for the fast reply, so i did that and it can see the drive "SCSI ID #0: Seagate ST336607LW", i then hit enter on that and get two options, format disk and verify disk media, so i choose verify disk media at get the following

UNEXPECTED SCSI COMMAND FAILURE
    target scsi id : 0
    scsi cdb sent : 25 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    scsi controller status : 00h - no scsi controller error
    target status : 02h check condition
    sense key : 03h medium error
    +sense code : 31h
    +sense code qualifier : 00h

I'm not sure if that confirms the drives controller is toast, cause it is definitely spinning(i can hear it), which i guess makes a little more sense why it shows up in Device Manager but not Disk Management but again i have no idea so just asking the pros :D

4. sabregen

sabregen [H]ard as it Gets

The controller may be optioning out the drive that it obviously sees. Your could format the drive to get it working again, but that won't help you if you're trying to recover data from it. a media error on a SCSI drive usually spells out TOAST for the drive in question.

5. mzungu

mzungu n00b

awesome....well kinda anyways thanks for the speedy replies knew someone here could help, again thanks