• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SCSI slow down on Windows 7

Joined
Jun 19, 2005
Messages
29
I have a adaptec 19160 scsi card and a Seagate st336752lw Cheetah.

Its a fairly old hardrive but its 15k rpm and usually runs like a scalded cat. Its been my boot drive for many builds and has always given top notch performance.

I recently installed Windows 7 x64 and my computer is running so very slow. Windows experience comes back with a 2.9 score for disk data transfer rate.

Now I have ran a plethora of disk tests and everything comes back clean. It was also working perfectly with XP.

I have the drivers listed on the adaptec website. Is there anything Im missing? Something I perhaps missed or dont know about? Do I need to chant dark words in the light of a cold pale yellow moon taught to be by a one eyed gypsy?

Any help is welcome.
 
I have a adaptec 19160 scsi card and a Seagate st336752lw Cheetah.

Its a fairly old hardrive but its 15k rpm and usually runs like a scalded cat. Its been my boot drive for many builds and has always given top notch performance.

I recently installed Windows 7 x64 and my computer is running so very slow. Windows experience comes back with a 2.9 score for disk data transfer rate.

Now I have ran a plethora of disk tests and everything comes back clean. It was also working perfectly with XP.

I have the drivers listed on the adaptec website. Is there anything Im missing? Something I perhaps missed or dont know about? Do I need to chant dark words in the light of a cold pale yellow moon taught to be by a one eyed gypsy?

Any help is welcome.

Here's why:

A typical Windows 7 64-bit installation plus a typical Windows page file eat up almost the entire 36GB disk. That leaves you with almost no space left available for programs or data. Plus, the sequential transfer speed of any mechanical hard drive falls off rapidly when the disk becomes half-full.

To put this in respect, a typical Windows XP 32-bit installation (with all of the required manufactures' component drivers) eats up less than 10GB on that hard drive. But a typical Windows 7 64-bit installation with all of the component-required drivers eats up nearly 30GB of hard drive space. It is this severe lack of free hard disk space that's dragging the disk performance scores down.

And while the dearth of available hard drive space is the primary problem, Windows Vista and Windows 7 do not work particularly well with SCSI hard drives irrespective of their platter design generation. This is because the parallel SCSI controller drivers eat up much more overhead than any SATA or SAS controller driver.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I definitely learned something. So there seems to be no hope for my poor scsi drive...such a shame really, its been such a good hardrive.
 
Back
Top