• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SCSI question, this can be done right

  • Thread starter Deleted member 19858
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 19858

Guest
I have an Adaptec 19160 SCSI card which has an internal 68 and 50 pin connection as well as a 50 pin external. Currently I have 2 SCSI HDD hooked up to the internal 68 pin. I just got a free tape drive that has a 50 pin connection, nice eh? Anways I wanted to make sure I could add the tape drive to the external 50 pin and have everything work.
 
It'll work, just slower. If you got anny documentation with the tape, look for a connect/disconnect feature. If it has that, your drives won't work at 40MB/s (assuming that's the bus speed for the tape) unless the tape is in use. If it doesn't have connect/disconnect don't use it unless you have a good reason for it or a 2 channel card. All your drives, if on the same channel will operate at the speed of the slowest drive. Connect/disconnect is a feature in alot of CD-ROMs and tape drives, (which obviously use slower buses than hard drives) and allows them to slow down the bus only when they're being used, a "connect", and then when they're done they "disconnect" and all goes back to normal.
 
It will give you full compatibility with older equipment and Adaptec's new Speedflex technology should prevent such old kit from dragging down the performance of the Ultra160 drives.

That statement was from a articual I read on that card. The part to look at is Adaptec's "Speedflex" technology. I have a 29160 card laying around here somewhere. I could run one CD-rom or a CD burner. Not both at the same time. My thoughts on the Speedflex technology is it bites. I would recommend you pick up a dual channel card.
 
picking up a dual channel card is not in the plans anytime soon. If it has a connect/disconnect feature that would be cool cause then it could backup at midnight which would only take about 10 minutes and go back to full speed. Can anyone confirm this?
 
All you can do is hook it up and try. If the speed trash doesn't work right. Most likely your computer will not see your backup device. That what my 29160 did. With two CD devices hooked up it would only see one in windows. It would vary on bootup which one I would get each time. LOL
 
I don't know anything about connect/disconnet but I'm quite sure that the speedflex will let you run LVD (68 pin) full speed seperate from the 50 pin devices.

about 130KB
http://graphics.adaptec.com/pdfs/installation_guides/19160_install_guide.pdf

On the 4th page they show you a big old picture with a box drawn around the two 50 pin connections & another box around the 68 pin. What it boils down to is that the 68 pin connection will run as fast as the slowest device plugged into it (80MBytes for Ultra2 & 160MBytes for Ultra160) & the 50 pin will go up to 20MBytes.
 
Back
Top