• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SCSI Q Please-Possible repost

moregolf

Gawd
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
892
Sort of a past Q. I have a Seagate SCSI drive that is my boot drive. It is a LVD 160 drive. I have two SATA drives. I am running the SCSI off of an Adaptec host controller (19160). It says that it is running at 80 sync. Before this drive, I had a Maxtor that ran at 160 all the time. What is the real diff between 80 and 160 in performance? Is it worth trying to get it to 160? Would it be reasonable to run the SATA 150 drive in it's place? Or should I leave well enough alone?

Thanks.
 
What drive is this? It may be an older drive that can only sync at 80, or you may have termination problems.

Since most drives can't touch 80 MB/s by themselves, this shouldn't be a limitation, but if you were running several drives on that channel, the whole channel would be limited to 80 MB/s overall throughput.

What sata 150 drive are you contemplating replacing the scsi drive with? A Raptor 150 will likely be as fast for desktop-type applications with less hassle, but it's $300. What are you doing with this machine, and how much speed do you need?

 
The SATA's that I have are Seagate drives. I am just doing the obvious things with the computor. Some photo work, but limited. Some DVD stuff. Don't really need the super fast, just was curious. I may replace the cable and 80 to 68 pin adapter. Thanks for the reply.
 
Well, the scsi drive should be fine. But you should probably test it both ways if you're concerned about performance - test something with the scsi drive and with the sata and see how it does.

The 80->68 adapter is a likely candidate for speed issues. I think 80 MB/s is one of the speed barriers that those had problems with, although I could be wrong. Are you sure that the cable is terminated?

 
Back
Top