SCSI n00b having problems

Davenow

Gawd
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
955
OK installed my adaptec 2940 card, my compaq OEM 10k 36.4 scsi drive (80 pin with converter and I set my bios to boot the CD rom first, scsi card second.
I left all the jumpers on the adapter plate open to set it to scsi ID 0. The card is ID 7
I get in to XP pro install, when it comes time to choose the partition, in the box it just says "setup cannot access this disk" and if I hit enter I BSOD. I know the drive and card works because with my other HD in, I can use the drive, it shows in My computer and works normally. It also passes the utility tests and formats just fine.

Any thoughts??? I really want to use this drive for my OS/Office/Photoshop and my 2 fave games.
 
Any idea where to get an 80 pin card and cable then?

I got past that error with a low level format. It did the ntfs quick format in the install, then copied all the install files over, went to reboot and it gives a disk read error.

Any thoughts on why it is now getting disk read errors??
 
thats the same thing mine does, im running a little ide drive for the os on my fileserver right now. no ideal on the 80 pin stuff
 
80-pin does not have a cable. The pinout is designed for hot swapping of drives in a RAID rack since both power and data travel through the same connector.

If you don't have a hot swap rack for the drive, your only choice IS the converter or one of these: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-123-305&depa=0
That tray will connect to the card just like the converter does and works a hell of a lot better than those damned converters do.
 
The converters are known to be troublesome at times, it could be causing a issue with installing XP. One thing you may try if you haven't, is copying your XP CD and slipstreaming SP2 into it and burning a new install CD, the early versions of XP had some known issues with SCSI devices, mostly poor performance, but it may help.
 
Davenow said:
OK installed my adaptec 2940 card, my compaq OEM 10k 36.4 scsi drive (80 pin with converter and I set my bios to boot the CD rom first, scsi card second.
I left all the jumpers on the adapter plate open to set it to scsi ID 0. The card is ID 7
I get in to XP pro install, when it comes time to choose the partition, in the box it just says "setup cannot access this disk" and if I hit enter I BSOD. I know the drive and card works because with my other HD in, I can use the drive, it shows in My computer and works normally. It also passes the utility tests and formats just fine.

Any thoughts??? I really want to use this drive for my OS/Office/Photoshop and my 2 fave games.

First, go into the SCSI card's BIOS utility, and make sure that it sees the drive correctly. Once that's done, try booting to a Knoppix CD, and find out if you can access the drive correctly though Linux.

Also, the end of the cable is terminated, isn't it?

steve
 
I have done all that, and already said the cable is terminated.
I bought a raptor today, screw scsi. I am returning the scsi drive fro full refund tonight :mad:
 
Back
Top