• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

SCSI Install

John Nice

n00b
Joined
Jul 29, 2007
Messages
19
I picked up a few 18 gb 15k drives for a little SCSI practice and was wondering if anyone knows a good site with a walk-through for installation and set-up (or something similar).

and I'm sure it's been discussed a million times, but what is normal performance vs say a 150 gb raptor?

thanks
 
single user/single access, both about the same (raptor may have a slight edge).
multi user/multi access, scsi has the advantage.
 
single user/single access, both about the same (raptor may have a slight edge).
multi user/multi access, scsi has the advantage.

thanks, will the controller make that much difference for a single user? is there that much difference in quality if you aren't max'ing the drives?
 
What type of controller are you planning on using?
since you are just playing around with scsi right now, see if you can pick up a cheap raid controller and try different raid configurations.
I used to run SCSI drives up until 2 years ago. the last ones I had in my system were a pair of 36gig 10K rpm Seagate Cheetahs.
I ended up going with a SATA drive since the cheetahs weren't that fast in a single user environment, and they were quite loud and very very hot, and I needed more space for my system drive.
 
the drives are Fujitsu MAS3184NP's
and the controller is LSI Symbios sym8951u.

I realize that I won't get full SCSI benefit since I probably won't have too much random access, but they called to me, what could I do?
 
Back
Top