SCSI Drives

20Valver

Limp Gawd
I got a couple Cheetah Ultra 320s from work that we are no longer using so they gave a couple.

Is it worth it to run at home?

What do I need to run on my mobo? Just a SCSI controller right? Will those $20 work?

Thanks for your help.

Need more info, 68 pin drives or 80 pin drives. If 80 you'll need adapters or a drive cage. Don't skimp on the scsi controller either, expect to pay around 50-100 for a controller that supports u320 well.

Also, drive model numbers would be nice. Performance wise, it might be better to sell them than spend more getting them setup, only to find they don't meet your expectations

not that I am ready to buy them m8, but i have a set of cheetahs 15k raid0 and they are freakn fast. the raptors might be cheaper, but i would run it at home no doubt. very happy with mine.

Do yourself a favor and get rid of them unless you're putting that U320 controller in a 64bit PCI slot.

Those are lovely drives, but really only belong in a proper server. I'd suggest unless you plan on spending some coin (300 - 800) for a proper SCSI controller running on a PCI-X slot you just sell them. If you want fast drives for home just take the cash from the sale and buy the largest raptor you can afford.

20Valver said:
What SCSI controller are you using?

Or are you running them on a server?

currently using an ami megaraid and yes I use them as the os on a webserver. I have 6 400gb sata's as the data storage

sh0rty said:
currently using an ami megaraid and yes I use them as the os on a webserver. I have 6 400gb sata's as the data storage
You'll need a good megaraid controller to take full advantage of them. If your already setup then you should just rock on. They are some of the fastest hd's on the planet.

Oh please.

Get a decent SCSI card that supports at least Ultra 160 and they will be nice and fast for desktop use.

Is that the very best use of them ever? No, but for cheap, they will be nice and fast.

To say that he has to spend some massive amount on a RAID card is just plain silly.

==>Lazn

QHalo said:
Do yourself a favor and get rid of them unless you're putting that U320 controller in a 64bit PCI slot.
Why?

Even with a 100Mhz limitation, the drive caps out at what, 90MB/s? 85MB/s? The bus is not a limiting factor unless you're doing multi-drive arrays, or copying from one SCSI drive to another. You can pick up a used U160 controller for about $30 shipped and be set.

If you have more than one, how many do you have? Here's what I'd do.

1 drive: $30 U160 controller in a regular PCI slot
2 drives: U160 controller in a PCI-X slot, and a slight hit in performance.
3 drives: U320 controller in a PCI-X slot, and no performance hit.

Or you could just sell them for a fair amount a piece. I'd imagine you could turn $200 profit on the set fairly easily, esp if they're still in manu warranty and 68pin. Personally I would run one of the newer MAU Fujitsu drives before I'd run those in a desktop system. The MAUs are optimized for desktop performance and even smoke the new raptors according to all the reviews I'm seen, which isn't suprising considering they run at 15k RPM and have insanely low seek times.

Back