SCSI Card Location Info

Techx

Supreme [H]ardness
When I'm looking at the device properties for a pci SCSI controller card it says

There are 2 of the exact same card listed in device manager, the only difference is one says function 0 the other says function 1. Does anyone know what the difference is here? My aim is to update the drivers but I'm not sure which one to update, or both..

Thanks

Does your card have an internal and external connector? Two internal connectors?

Some SCSI cards, such as the Adaptec 39160, will show two of the same card, as you've said. Each of the two internal connectors can support 15 devices, for a total of 30. Simply, each "virtual card" corresponds to one of the connectors. Updating the drivers for both of them would be recommended.

Most likely both functions on the controller use the same device driver, so if you update one of them, they will both get updated.

nice! thank you for the info guys, I had a feeling that was the case.. now of the problem is I downloaded those 39160 drivers from the adaptec site, and it doesn't let me update them.. I get the old "windows was unable to find better drivers than what you now have" message.. it's not that our autoloader tape drive isn't working but we get lots of failed backups and controller errors.

thanks

Back