Scrypt N?

kerbos5

n00b
So was just curious how many people on the forum are starting to think about converting to this or to J....I don't know much about them other than they exist, and altcoins are starting to pop up with the new proof....do you think its worth diverting all of us non asic users, or should we keep on full steam ahead with Scrypt? If you are mining N what pools are you using. I have about 7-8 mhash I can play with.

I have a Vertcoin pool (vertsquad.com) that quite a few [H] people mine on.

Scrypt-n is a bitch to tune and get right, but if you want some help join #vertsquad on freenode

/endshamelessplug

I have a Vertcoin pool (vertsquad.com) that quite a few [H] people mine on.

Scrypt-n is a bitch to tune and get right, but if you want some help join #vertsquad on freenode

/endshamelessplug

I pointed 4 mhash to vertsquad for about 24 hrs a few days ago and ended up with 2 VTC... I was expecting to see approx half the hashrate on the dashboard but never say my hash rate break 1.2 although vertminer was showing 2.1 or so. I was using vertminer 0.5.3 and was getting zero hw errors/ less than 2% rejects. I may try a complete weekend to see if I do any better, but so far the scrypt pools seem to bring better profits.

Update: as the others have pointed out, N-scrypt takes a lot more tuning and after getting my conf file settings just right, my hashrate has doubled (and is displaying correctly on Jzegers24 pool). I apologize to Jzegers24 and the OP for the momentary hijack.

Last edited:
My whole farm with the exception of 10 750tis are mining non-scrypt coins.

Is Vertcoin worth mining? How is the return compared to current LTC mining? For reference I have about 9MH/s mining LTC.

Is Vertcoin worth mining? How is the return compared to current LTC mining? For reference I have about 9MH/s mining LTC.

Probably 0.00541 btc/mh VTC vs 0.005001 btc/mh LTC. Expect around 40-50% hash rate in scrypt-n vs scrypt and around 95% of the power usage.

Probably 0.00541 btc/mh VTC vs 0.005001 btc/mh LTC. Expect around 40-50% hash rate in scrypt-n vs scrypt and around 95% of the power usage.

So about half as profitable as LTC since you lose so much hashrate?

No... not quite. Scrypt-N reports only about half hash rate of Scrypt. However, your daily production on Vertcoin should net you profits just slightly higher than LTC. As Oblox stated:
Probably 0.00541 btc/mh VTC vs 0.005001 btc/mh LTC.

No... not quite. Scrypt-N reports only about half hash rate of Scrypt. However, your daily production on Vertcoin should net you profits just slightly higher than LTC. As Oblox stated:

Cool, thanks for the clarification. One more question.....what's the best exchange to use for VTC to BTC?

That's providing you can get your cards to run at least half the hashrate that you can in Scrypt, in my case a lot of my cards won't do it so far,most are only doing about 40%, i'm still tinkering with vertminer and sgminer to see if i can get them higher.

Sounds like a big pain in the arse. I'll stick with Scrypt for now. Coins are sucking today anyways because of uncle sam and capital gains crap.

edit: Guess it's China bad news again mostly.

Last edited:
Both are good. s-j is harder to tune for than scrypt-N. With my 4x750Ti rig I got 1220kh/s in scrypt, and get 595kh/s in scrypt-2048 vert and 13.6kh/s in scrypt-jane yac. All are more or less equally profitable, yac a little more than the other two.

Back