Screwed by Seagate ......Suggestions?

noacess

Limp Gawd
OK, well here is my story. Back in October my 300GB Seagate hard drive died so I decided to take advantage of that wonderful 5 year warranty. So I RMAed it and sent the drive in and a week later they said they received it according to the web site. A few days later they claim to of mailed it out via DHL and give a tracking number....that doesnt work. The web site said it was shipped out October 18th so I wait until about the 1st of November without getting a new hard drive. So I email them and ask them where my hard drive is and asked why the tracking number doesnt work. I got an email back a day later saying they had to "contact the shipping team" and they'd get back to me. So I wait another week. No reponce so I email them again, no answer. I then go home for a week for thanksgiving break and hope DHL left a note or something if the package came. I come back from break, nothing. So I email then again and I gett the "we need to contact the shipping team" email once again almost verbatim. At this point its on a friday and I cant call them until Monday. So Monday rolls around and I call. Some heavy accented Indian sounding lady picks up my call, I think "great, outsourced tech support. So I can barely understand her but I give her my name and RMA number and tell her that I still havnt received my drive. She tells me she needs to contact the shipping team so I was put on hold. When she picks back up she tells me that my hard drive will be mailed out right away. So here I am, over a week later and I STILL have no freaking hard drive from them.

So what do I do? Does anyone know another number I can call or another email address I can try to get some one higher up on the Seagate food chain? Its been almost 2 months since they said they shipped out a hard drive and I still have nothing. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Just call them every single day and go medievil at the call centre people demanding your HDD, you'll get it eventually. Either that or call up and ask to speak to a native English speaker, it pisses em off no end so they try to prove you wrong by doin the job lol. Also, demand the number to their 'shipping team' and call them alot too, that is if its all toll free, if not, well thats just expensive.

I have to talk to Dell almost weekly and they outsource to indians who suck at English and you just keep calling them and quoting that you need it, not want it and they eventually get around to it.

Funny story bout indians being taught English - I call up Dell Gold Support (the fuckin expensive one) and we asked for a replacement fan for our computer, just a fan. They sent us a technician with a new motherboard and they replaced the mobo in the computer, the fan was still fucked. So i call again, this time i say 'I WANT A FAN' so i get a fan without any gromits (needed for installation). So the guy i work with calls them trying to convince them what rubber fan gromits were, and eventually sent them a picture done in paint to illustrate the point. They say 'oh ok, we'll send them out'. 2 days later, we get another fuckin fan without any gromits on it. Called today, they said 'theyll get back to me after they talk with their tech team' about 4 fuckin gromits lol.

Start talking with an Indian accent...if you have to be miserable, might as well drive them nuts too.

Rule #1: Be polite on the phone. I know when I did tech support I did little as I could to people who were ignorant.

Just keep calling them..

I partly suspect DHL. I've had 3 bad expierences with them, and I refuse to do business with them or anyone who only ships with them.

Reminds me of when I got my home theater system, it came DHL. Took 3 weeks to get it. It took a week to get to my local DHL office. First week the driver kept missing my house on his route, then the next week the driver must of been new because he called for directions 3 times and still never delivered it. Mid-week on the 3rd week, I get a call from my neighbor, she had a package on her porch for me. Sitting outside in the pouring rain, no plastic bag or anything.

Luckily enough the company I bought it from paid to ship it back and send me a new unit, fedex overnight at no charge.

That was the straw that broke this camels back..

Ok. I have not had a bad hard drive RMA experience with Western Digital- EVER.

I recently RMA'd a Seagate 300gb drive- drive # 1. I paid for advanced replacement and received a drive in 5 days- 2nd day shipment mind you. I pulled the HD - drive # 2 out of the super foam box they sent. When I picked it up, it drive #2 made a clinking noise inside. I plugged in in and the thing rettled and shook. It appears that one of the hd plates dislodged and was loose. That drive - # 2- was DOA.

I called them to get a new RMA for the drive # 2 they sent me on my original RMA drive # 1. After going back and forth with them- 5 calls. They shipped me out another drive-(drive # 3). This time they were nice enough to ship the drive out via ground service. So it will take a total of 9 days to get to me from when they shipped it out.

I called customer service and so far have spoken to a Robert, a Nancy, a Stacy, a Steven and a Carol. I find it funny that all 5 people have a strong INDIAN accent. Now I am not easily offended, BUT when you give a person who's name is probably Pindu or Habib and name like Steve or Robert, I get a little annoyed.

I will not be buying a Seagate hard drive again. I have never had any problems with Western Digitals RMA procedure and have always had good result- and had spoken to an American.

feel free to chime in....

Well it is now 3 months past when they said they originally shipped it and I'm still going back and forth with them. A 5 year warranty is only good if they actually replace the drive in a timely manner. No more Seagate drives for me. Western Digital only from now on.

Why not take this up the food chain? Go to the BBB, go to all their review outlets and refer them to your case.

scoob8000 said:
Rule #1: Be polite on the phone. I know when I did tech support I did little as I could to people who were ignorant.

Just keep calling them..
Yep, I work customer support and the golden rule definitely applies. That being said, you should firmly but politely demand to talk to a supervisor next time you call if they can't give you a working tracking number over the phone.

Vertigo Acid said:
Yep, I work customer support and the golden rule definitely applies. That being said, you should firmly but politely demand to talk to a supervisor next time you call if they can't give you a working tracking number over the phone.

Best way to go.

However some bits of info for you
The RMA work in america for seagate is actualy done by
Jabil Global Services
5700 South International Pkway
Suite A
McAllen TX 78503
1-800-468-3472

Here is exactly what has happened
the person in india created a RMA number
when the drive showed up to the recieveing seagate RMA facility
(usualy operated under contract by some logistics firm)
someone examined the drive for physical dammage
then as long as there was no physical dammage he repacked it in a larger group shippinng container to be shipped back to the factory and marked down that you should get your replacement drive

this info is then sent on a daily basis to the shipping dept (a different logistics firm in a different state) also refered to as the shipping dept
this logistics firm recievs a once per week shipment from seagate directly. every drive on the truck is spoken for. thus segate only has to allocate the drives needed and the logistics firm does not have to keep any inventory (thus segate can switch logistics firm at any time)

if, however, when the logistics firm is repacking the drives to be delivered to you they were to dammage a drive. the drive would have to be reallocated. but then it falls on the bottom of the stack, and only if there is stock left will it be fufilled.
however if the re-allocation request is not submited properly and in time it will be denied and the shipping firm will say f-it our contract obligations are fullfilled seagate can deal with it how they like

thus u get it up the backside ;)

Back