Screensavers no longer necessary?

SatinSpiral

Limp Gawd
thought just occurred to me:

aren't screensavers pointless with LCD displays, given that there is no phosphor burn??

Apparently... LCD's also have the burn-in effect..
i just recently found that out too when i bought my LCDTV...

But it takes A LONG TIME for it to occur!

They don't actually "burn", it's called image persistance on a LCD and it's not permanent. Either leaving the LCD off for a period of time, or changing background picture/other colors will make it go away.

Really screen savers haven't been necessary since win98. I simply have my monitor turn off after 10 minutes instead of a screesaver. For all intents and purposes it's better.

i personally dont use screensavers... although i have set it to WindowsXP screensaver (the one with "winXP" it appears and disappears on a black background)... only for times when i leave my desk for 5mins.... if i want to leave for a time more than that i put my pc on standby and my monitor too.

sure i download nice once every once in awhile... cause some of the look really good... and are nice to show off... but other than that i dont see a point in them...

personally i would rather turn off my monitor than leave a screensaver on to waste both electricity as well as my system resources (for those heavy 3D ones)...

Back