Screen tearing?

WasntMe

[H]ard|Gawd
I am not sure if that is the correct term.

Shit... how do I explain this without a screen shot? Here goes...

When I am playing some games (rig in sig), I get an issue where it looks like the screen splits, or tears. It normally only happens in the middle of the screen and stretches horizontally across the entire screen. It's only for a very very quick second or 2 which sucks because I haven't been able to get a screen shot.

Is this where v-sync is needed? Am I seeing something common?

Screen tearing is the correct term, and vertical sync is the cure. Enable triple buffering (if applicable) to reduce performance penalties as your frame rate drops below your refresh rate.

Screen tearing is the correct term, and vertical sync is the cure. Enable triple buffering (if applicable) to reduce performance penalties as your frame rate drops below your refresh rate.

I don't see a setting for it in Crysis. :(

Try forcing it, and failing that, look for some sort of configuration setting. I'd be surprised if Crysis didn't have some way of setting cvars.

If I happen across a better answer, I'll let you know.

I forced v-sync on for Crysis in the Nvidia Control Panel. It definitely fixed the screen tearing for me. :)

I doubt you are getting over 60fps in Crysis though, unless you are running on pretty low settings or a low resolution.

Anyway:

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=235697#p235697

It many not matter if the fps is lower than refresh. Some monitors (at least mine) still simply can't get in sync with the vid card at all without VSync. I get tearing regardless of what my framerate is (above/below 60 doesn't matter) unless I enable VSync. Granted, it's worse when the framerate is much higher than refresh, but it's plenty noticable at any other time as well.

Be aware that VSync is known to cause mouse lag. Also, make sure you enable triple buffering like somebody already said. You'll have to force triple buffering through a third party application, as the setting in the nVidia contol panel will only affect OpenGL. Most games do not use OpenGL anymore.

Back